Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2012, 07:22 AM

BAT Seminar, Stoneleigh, Grisha Stewart 2/3 June

Just received the timetable for the weekend re BAT for:

Puppies through Adult Dogs: Prevention and Rehabilitation of Aggression, Fear, and Frustration,

A good mix of lectures, demonstrations, videos and hands on over the two days.

Really looking forward to this.

It will be interesting to compare and contrast techniques from the Paddy Driscoll Workshop and the Geert De Bolster Seminar.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a really good mix of stuff - brill

Am jealous!

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Well, a first class day, full of information. Grisha is an engaging speaker, the venue is excellent, and the material copious.

The event as been sponsored by the Kennel Club Educational Trust, Kong and Dorwest Herbs.

There are 48 pages of slide notes.

The two practical demonstrations were interesting as were the VTs in the presentation.

There were a range of reactive dogs, GSD, BC and Weimaraner.Tomorrow they wil be joined by a whippet.

The stooge dogs were a mutt, a kelpie and a shih tzu.

This has certainly brought the book to life.
Looking forward to tomorrow.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well, a first class day, full of information. Grisha is an engaging speaker, the venue is excellent, and the material copious.

The event as been sponsored by the Kennel Club Educational Trust, Kong and Dorwest Herbs.

There are 48 pages of slide notes.

The two practical demonstrations were interesting as were the VTs in the presentation.

There were a range of reactive dogs, GSD, BC and Weimaraner.Tomorrow they wil be joined by a whippet.

The stooge dogs were a mutt, a kelpie and a shih tzu.

This has certainly brought the book to life.
Looking forward to tomorrow.
The Venue is the same place as we were for the KCAI weekend - fantastic, though quite hot! Have seen some pictures on her FB group and it looked good. Very jelous!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I have been to several events over the years at the KC Building, I love the grounds, they are great to walk the dog in.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 11:13 AM
48 pages of slide notes, that is good!!!

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Well, it has been raining all day here, so thank goodness we were inside!

I have just got wet taking my dogs for a long walk around the grounds.

Saw a HUGE dog fox trotting across the field about 100 yards in front of me, fortunately both dogs were going away from it after the ball! Phew!

More slides, VT and then a practical session where we divided into 4 sections and then, within each section, into groups of 4 where we had to devise a BAT strategy for the reactive dogs.

We had the Weimaraner and two groups were selected to demo.

I was in the second group and I spent 15 minutes prone with a skateboard whilst someone else instructed the handler and another person communicated to the group and another was ready with escape route or food if necessary.

As I was orientated not to eyeball the dog I did not see anything, but I heard it went very well!

We then went through BAT for puppies and teens; how to use it in different contexts and layouts.

Another short practical session with the BC and the Whippet.

I thought of Moonmaiden and Whichpets and I really think you guys ought to find a local practitioner, buy the book and/or the DVD or attend the next seminar which is in Manchester in November.

Having read the book, and surfed the net, I still had some unanswered questions which were addressed over the weekend, either directly or indirectly.

Seeing how the system should be delivered AND the mistakes made (Grisha left errors in on her clips deliberately) both by herself and others meant that you had the opportunity to clearly identify these and what should have been done.

There were a number of high calibre trainers/behaviourists present as well as faces I did not know.

I would thoroughly recommend attendance if possible and I like the system.

What I particularly appreciated was being able to compare and contrast BAT with CAT, LAT and Classical Counter Conditioning which was expanded and elaborated on in the presentation. Very useful.

A very worthwhile two days which has deepened my understanding of this technique and how to apply it.

Another aspect which was encouraging was the demo of shelter dogs and how you can use all sorts of environments; not just state of the art facilities.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Sounds like a good day.. do you have the link for the one in November in Manchester?

I think MM has the book so perhaps can borrow that off her one time! In the mean time I have booked in with Cathy who you sueggested SB.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Moonmaiden? Do you mean me?

Sophie, send me your email and I'll send you the PDF if Grisha's BAT book which Chirag sent me. Or you can borrow my hard copy if you prefer, when you're down next.

I think BAT has a lot of practical applications for some dogs in some circumstances and I've certainly used aspects of it in my training. It seems to work best for Cain with his eyeballing of strange dogs. Sadly I don't think it'll work for his people aggression as his threashold is very small, literally inches, so the set ups don't work so well for that. It's also been very difficult to find people to participate in set ups I've tried to utilise the public on walks but they are prone to random changes in direction which doesn't help

Glad you enjoyed it SB, I would have found it very interesting. Chirag's whole assessment session was BAT so I'm familiar with it I'd like to talk to Grisha about how to handle dogs who don't kick off from a distance and have a very tiny threshold.

P.s. I'd love to see photos of you skateboarding!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >