Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:14 PM

A baby bird & a cowardly dog!

I knew Molly was a wuss but I didn't realise she was this bad

Molly was outside in the garden & I saw her acting very strangely under the big fir tree in our back garden! I thought maybe she'd found another frog so I went out to rescue it & pop it back in the pond before she could frighten it any more. When I got out there, I saw that it was actually a baby bird that had fallen out of it's nest! Molly was acting like such a wuss - she was taking a few steps forward, wuffing a little, then running back again! I can't believe a dog who loves to chase birds is so afraid of a little chick!

Anyway, I'm a total softie so I ended up calling the local wildlife hospital & bringing it inside for the night in a box I've been told to keep it overnight so it doesn't get eaten by anything & then pop it outside near the tree tomorrow in the box & see whether or not the mother comes back for it. If not, I'm going to pop it down to the wildlife hospital after work tomorrow. Although to be honest I'm not sure it'll survive the night - it still hasn't got any feathers on it's head or back & it's eyes aren't even open. Poor little thing
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:24 PM
My whippets did exactly the same recently with a baby dove and they routinely do it with hedgehogs (don't blame them for the latter).

A while ago Sneaks did it with a baby moorhen that was trying to fight him in the garden! The bird was winning until it decided to run. Sneaks caught it and had it in his chops for a good five minutes before I realised. I rescued it and amazingly it was completely unscathed, just dazed. I dropped it at the local vet on my way to work and they released it in the park Not very competent hunters, my whippets!

Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Aw, he is so cute! Great to hear that he was released too, it's so nice when it works out

Good on you for rescuing him & it's definitely a good thing your whippets aren't very competent hunters