Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Ivan's got something nasty on his face

Only noticed this yesterday, to my shame.

While I was grooming him I noticed the hair on his cheek was all matted. Couldn't understand how that had happend and when I looked closer it looked like there was something sticky in it. I got a damp cloth and gave it a wash with some warm water which he happily let me do so I wasn't overly concerned.

I decided to let it dry and give it a brush out today. When I got up this morning I noticed a clump of dark hair on the kitchen floor but didn't think anything of it.

My OH went out this afternoon to brush it out and as soon as he touched the area the remaining hair came away in his hand leaving a bald patch on Ivan's cheek.

It isn't angry or sore but frightened the life out of me and I rang the vet straight away and could only get an appointment for the morning at 10.20.

My mind is now working overtime and thinking it is something very sinister and possibly related to the lump on his back, which before Christmas I was told was nothing to worry about but just keep an eye on.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, and as I say its not angry or red but the hair around it had been all stuck together yet it seems dry now.

He is fine in himself and is eating and drinking and happy to go for his walks and potter in the garden.

Sorry to have rambled on, very worried.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Maybe he had a reaction to something and being hairy you didn't notice. It has hopefully come to a head burst and is now healing. Fingers crossed.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Could it be a hot spot or something like that? it's probably nothing, try not to worry too much.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:37 PM
it could just be a hotspot that has stopped 'pussing', zeke gets them a lot and they appear so quickly, overnight - a great big bald patch! They go as soon as they appear though, hopefully it's just something like that xxx
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:44 PM
It sounds like a hotspot to me, we have just had one on one of ours. They are nothing to worry about and clear up fairly quickly with treatment.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. He's never had anything like this before and I have never experienced it with a dog before.

It definitely looks like there may have been something there that had burst but I cannot see any sign of a spot or any sort of broken skin or anything that would have caused any weeping, if that makes sense.

Can they get hot spots on there face? As I said I have no experience of them.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Roly had a hotspot on his back. I thought he had rolled in something so I got a flannel to wipe it off and a large bald patch just appeared. It was'nt inflamed, I cleaned it for a couple of days with hibiscrub. I can hardly see it now but I do keep checking it. Hopefully that is all it is. Dont beat yourself up over it.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. Going to pop him to the vet anyway in the morning just to be safe xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Len gets hot spots and eventually the hair falls off leaving a baldy patch. Try not to worry, Nic, it's probably nowt xx
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks Vicki. I don't know why I always imagined hotspots to be really sore and angry looking or else I am a terrible and never noticed it when it was like that.

Its on his face how the hell did I miss it!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >