Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 12:20 PM

Cockapoo health test

A friend of mine who has never had a dog before is looking to get a puppy cockapoo. I have tried to steer her towards a rescue pup, but that hasn't worked

So, she has asked for my advice on where and what to look for.

I've pointed out that ultimately these are cross breeds and she may pay more for one than the individual breeds themselves, some on gumtree for £800 . I'm going to advise her to avoid dealers, we have lots of those around here, and to make sure she sees Mum & preferably Dad too.

I'm sure that ordinarily the parents won't have had the usual health tests recommended for each breed, but would be godd if I could tell her what they are so she can do her own research.

Can anyone tel me what they are?

Thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I very much doubt that any breeder of these "designer"dogs does any help testing. The breeders argue that their dogs have"hybrid"vigour which is a load of rubbiah, there are no scientific studies to proof that crossbred & mongrel dogs are healthier than pedigree dogs.

I hop they like grooming & trimming as most cocker x poodles I have met have needed to have their coats professionally groomed
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 03:02 PM
If this is their first dog i would strongly advise them against a cockerpoo, everyone I have met has been as mad as a box of frogs! Really imagine the nuttest springer you have ever known, on speed, in the doggy version of disney land at christmas and you are close to what they were like
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
If this is their first dog i would strongly advise them against a cockerpoo, everyone I have met has been as mad as a box of frogs! Really imagine the nuttest springer you have ever known, on speed, in the doggy version of disney land at christmas and you are close to what they were like
Really? Oh god. I have tried to disuade her but to no avail.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Well .. they are a mix of 2 intellingent and active breeds. I've met 2 so far - both seem to be running rings round their owners.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 05:56 PM
A friend has just got one from a breeder in Devon who has both parents health tested----so it can and is done.

rune