Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:34 AM

Why the need for show and working dogs?

I was wondering if anyone could explain what the point of show and working dogs is? I am pretty sure I've probably got similar answers.

What seperates the breeds and their different lines? Why can't a working dog be shown but show type could work?

If people wanted a dog with less energy why not have a toy breed?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Many toy breeds are high energy..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I was wondering if anyone could explain what the point of show and working dogs is? I am pretty sure I've probably got similar answers.

What seperates the breeds and their different lines? Why can't a working dog be shown but show type could work?

If people wanted a dog with less energy why not have a toy breed?

You can show a working dog, the same way as you can show a white GSD, but you will not get anywhere so you would be wasting your money (generally speaking).

You can work a show dog, but for example in cockers, the coat would be a hindrance and a lot of their working ability has been bred out of them.

So you would not get the intensity and drive required for example competing in Field Trials.

The POINT of the split is that many pet owners could not cope with a dog that required a great deal of mental and physical stimulation but they like the LOOK of CS. Most Field Triallers would be very frustrated if they had a couch potato at the end of the lead.

So the split occurred, as in Labradors, GSD etc so that people could enjoy a particular phenotype of dog, but one that has a different genotype.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:55 AM
simple really they have evolved to meet peoples needs, working all shapes and sizes depending on what cover they are required to work, (in spaniels anyway) with plenty of drive, show more flashy with a laid back temperament that means they handle nicely in the ring, i am a good example of that, i have fostered a couple of show springers and i always feel like i want to give them a kick up the bum so to speak to get them going, the energy and character of the workers suits me better, (although in this weather they're all flaked out)
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Many toy breeds are high energy..
asbo certainly is i wouldnt recommend an asbo for people who wanted a chilled out dog! he doesnt switch off!

as for answering the question, dogs evolved to what people want. personally i prefer the show type of the majority of breeds, especially labs and springers.. but i like working line GSD etc.. really just personal preference and what you want from a dog.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Some breeds do work and show, a good amount of top Wirehaired Vizsla's are also excellent working dogs.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I've shown my gwp (placed 2nd in her class at Crufts) and she is a fanastic working dog. There isn't such a split in many of the hprs.

Helen
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You can show a working dog, the same way as you can show a white GSD, but you will not get anywhere so you would be wasting your money (generally speaking).

You can work a show dog, but for example in cockers, the coat would be a hindrance and a lot of their working ability has been bred out of them.

So you would not get the intensity and drive required for example competing in Field Trials.

The POINT of the split is that many pet owners could not cope with a dog that required a great deal of mental and physical stimulation but they like the LOOK of CS. Most Field Triallers would be very frustrated if they had a couch potato at the end of the lead.

So the split occurred, as in Labradors, GSD etc so that people could enjoy a particular phenotype of dog, but one that has a different genotype.
Do you really think that the reason we see a split some gun dogs is because people have given conscious thought to diluting the drive of some breeds to fit into pet homes.

Or do you think its because the working fraternity don't care what their dogs look like as long as they can do a days work in the field,(talking some gun dogs) and conformation is the last thing on their minds.

I also doubt that given the majority of spaniels we see around in pet homes are working type over show , its seems a contradiction to say they are breeding for a more suitable dog for the pet home.

Take the springer for example, the work/pet bred are the most common in pet homes, yet you could put any two together and the conformation could be widely out, short legs, long legs, deformed legs and so on and on.

The reason we have splits in some breeds is simply down to the fact, that some breeders don't breed to standard, they breed for working ability and nothing else.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Do you really think that the reason we see a split some gun dogs is because people have given conscious thought to diluting the drive of some breeds to fit into pet homes.

Or do you think its because the working fraternity don't care what their dogs look like as long as they can do a days work in the field,(talking some gun dogs) and conformation is the last thing on their minds.

I also doubt that given the majority of spaniels we see around in pet homes are working type over show , its seems a contradiction to say they are breeding for a more suitable dog for the pet home.

Take the springer for example, the work/pet bred are the most common in pet homes, yet you could put any two together and the conformation could be widely out, short legs, long legs, deformed legs and so on and on.

The reason we have splits in some breeds is simply down to the fact, that some breeders don't breed to standard, they breed for working ability and nothing else.

Yes I DO think that in some breeds there HAS been a conscious decision to dilute the working ability of the dogs that are bred due to the number of pet/show homes wanting one. In fact, correction, I KNOW so.

Also, I think with breeding it is all about balance, at the end of the day those who like performance animals (whether equine or canine) will say " a good (insert animal) is never a bad colour" etc.

That is not to say that looks are not important.

For example I like my dogs to work well but I also like to be able to look at nice examples of the breed.

I would not want a blue Weimaraner, or a white GSD, or a dog meant to have prick ears have lop ones etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I have also shown my Weimaraner (placed 1st in her class at Crufts) and she is a fantastic working dog.

I have also shown my GSD (placed 1st in his class at Crufts) and he is a fantastic working dog.

Both dogs have competed at the relevant National Championships (Working Trials and Schutzhund) reserved for the top dogs in the UK that year.

So you can have your cake and eat it! (Sometimes)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »