Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Puppy's legs not developing right?

Hi on Friday had to take little benji to the vets as he had a bit of a stomach upset. He was given an injection and is now fully recovered.

While we were there the vet said she was concerned that benjis front legs weren't developing right. I did think they seemed a little bowed but thought it was just a puppy thing and they would straighten as he got older.

She said it looked like his bones are twisting as his front legs are too short for his bones. She is referring me to a leg doctor who will be phoning me during the week for an appointment.

Does anyone else know anything about this problem or experienced it. Benji is 16 weeks now. I thought he was having a good diet, fish4 puppies for 3 meals and one meal of raw, so don't think it's to do with his diet.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 08:38 AM
What breed is Benji? Do you have a picture?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 08:42 AM
What Loki's mum said - what breed and can you post a photo (although I'm fairly sure the vet knows what they are talking about - well I would hope they do!)

I've heard of 'knuckling over'. It's a shame the vet just said 'didn't look quite right' instead of being more specific.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 09:01 AM
He is supposed to be a English springer spaniel but the vet seems to think he may not be a pure bred and may have cocker spaniel in him, so very confused.

When I went the next day for a follow up appointment with his stomach the other vet mentioned it might be dwarfism as he has a long body and short legs compared to his body.
When you look at the bone in his legs they do look twisted. I will get a picture today
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
He is supposed to be a English springer spaniel but the vet seems to think he may not be a pure bred and may have cocker spaniel in him, so very confused.

When I went the next day for a follow up appointment with his stomach the other vet mentioned it might be dwarfism as he has a long body and short legs compared to his body.
When you look at the bone in his legs they do look twisted. I will get a picture today
Bowed legs are very common in working type Springers as pups and they do generally straighten out. I wouldn't be overly concerned. I've seen a lot of adult Springers with slightly bowed legs and it doesn't affect them at all. Lots of breeds have Queen Anne legs, especially as pups.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 09:09 AM
And there seems to be a lot of info and advice out there on the web about bowed legs in puppies. I won't profer any as I don't have the experience to do so.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 09:55 AM
thanks i hope you are right but looking at his legs i am really worried. Here are some photos'
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 10:07 AM
That doesn't look abnormal to me for his breed and age.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks I do hope so. Will update you when I have seen this leg doctor.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »