Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Struggling to keep him cool.

Took Louie out early for his walk, decided against a big long trek around the woods and opted just for the lake and some swimming.

But since then he's had a cuppa tea, I know it's supposed to be bad for them, but it's his birthday and my Mum's always said hot/warm drinks cool you down better - not sure if it's the same with dogs. Filled up a paddling pool and put it in the shade, put his beds out, stuck his dog igloo in the shade too. Couple of damp towels on the ground for him to lay on, took all the soft furnishings off the sofa (leather so cold) tiles on the kitchen floor are old and really cold. Yet he's wandering around aimlessly trying to cool down.

Poor boy.. Pennie on the other hand loves the pool, loves the beds being outside and keeps diving from one to the other, keeps running off with the damp towels and is just loving it!
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2012, 11:51 AM
bless him my two struggle with the heat as well, have you thought of getting him a cooling coat they are quite expensive but i do fined they help my two when the weather is really warm.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
bless him my two struggle with the heat as well, have you thought of getting him a cooling coat they are quite expensive but i do fined they help my two when the weather is really warm.
He doesn't really do coats, plus I've found the best way to cool dogs down is paws and tummy.. the other week he got so warm running around he laid himself down in a puddle.

He should be ok later once it cools a little, it is the middle of the day and his colour doesn't help him.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Have you got the doors open? I got home to let the dogs out yesterday and it was much warmer in the garden than in the kitchen, I closed the doors behind me to keep the cool air in the house. With a lack of breeze, sometimes leaving the house closed up is the coolest option, especially if you can keep it even cooler indoors with thick curtains/blinds to block the sun out.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Just a note about cooling coats, they are only of use in dogs which have very fine short coats.

Many dogs have top and undercoat which provide ideal insulation against heat/cold; putting a coat on top then ruins this "thermos" effect and is a waste of money at best and does the opposite of what you intended at worst.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Have you got the doors open? I got home to let the dogs out yesterday and it was much warmer in the garden than in the kitchen, I closed the doors behind me to keep the cool air in the house. With a lack of breeze, sometimes leaving the house closed up is the coolest option, especially if you can keep it even cooler indoors with thick curtains/blinds to block the sun out.
Yes the door is open, it's always cool in our house, even with the door open and there is a breeze, living off a lake has it's advantages in this kind of weather, all the breeze comes. Most of my floors are tiled (we haven't got round to the living room floor yet) so it's cool.

I would shut the door, but the cat has been allowed out and Pennie is outside but the moment I shut the door she asks to come in just to ask to go out again..

He seems Ok now, the wandering has stopped and he's sat in a leather chair with a damp towel under him.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2012, 12:22 PM
I would guess that hot drinks cool humans down because it makes you sweat, so I doubt that would work with dogs. I would try giving him a few ice cubes to crunch/suck, adding some to his water bowl, dousing his undercarriage with cool water and encouraging him to stay out of the sun. My two eejits will cook themselves stupid given half a chance!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I was sat outside with the dogs an hour ago but came in as they looked too hot. Luckily, the kennels are nice and cool, although they do have a bit of sun so they can do some sunbathing, which most of them are.

Our house is pretty cool as well, which certainly helps.

We are walking ours early and late in this weather, with a dip in the river half way through.

Helen
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I think you are doing all you can so I wouldn't worry too much. The heat can be really unsettling for many dogs.

Mine are outside munching on some marrow bones I bought them this morning. Apart from that they spend most of the time comatose on the floor until I take them out in the evening. Its quite nice not having them annoy me!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Can't you just shower him or sprinkle hose him down?

Can you imagine what it's like here when the temps soar to over 40deg and stay there sometimes for months and it doesn't cool down much at night?

But we have aircon for that. No help outside mind you. Bella adores being squirted with a water squirter (discovered this when I tried one to stop her barking when she was little!)

My last dog was a bit dopey about not drinking when out and about. So I used to just pour the water over her instead. Back at home I'd just hold her up by her front paws and shower her down all underneath - she loved that anyway. Then she'd sit in front of a fan while still wet.

Bella can't get enough hot sunshine - she will head out and lay in it (like a cat) when it's too hot for me. But she struggles hard with winter. Even here where it doesn't get freezing. She shivers like a thing that is a very shivery thing and needs jumpers and coats and all that rubbish.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >