View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 10:14 PM

American Pit Bull / bandog split thread (size, condition, weight, etc.)

Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
They are not what the breed fanciers would term 'thin'. Observe the musculature.
they look like a under weight dog to me , that is all i can see
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Beautiful dogs!! not to sure about the necklace in the last pic tho. I am however old so dont sweat me.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Bolty, the red Pit Bull is in prime condition, superb in fact. It is a mature animal aswell, not a growing puppy as Ruby is.
Dawn.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Bolty
your bitch is a young immature animal who looked to have a slightly distended tummy and lacked weight else where
These are mature 'conditioned' animals and although not to my taste they are not unhealthy.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 10:07 AM
there is another difference which is along the lines of what has previouslly been said, an American Pit Bull terrier is a breed which is bred to be lean, racy and smooth running.
As Ruby is mainly mastiff type blood she should be somehwta stockier, well built, cobby and muscular
Best wishes
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Archer
Bolty
your bitch is a young immature animal who looked to have a slightly distended tummy and lacked weight else where
These are mature 'conditioned' animals and although not to my taste they are not unhealthy.
maby these dogs are not pit bulls then as there heads are not like any pit that i have seen, maby they are American Pit Bull Whippet's :smt017
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
there is another difference which is along the lines of what has previouslly been said, an American Pit Bull terrier is a breed which is bred to be lean, racy and smooth running.
As Ruby is mainly mastiff type blood she should be somehwta stockier, well built, cobby and muscular
Best wishes
the only pit bulls that i have seen that look like these but with bagger heads is the 1's that are on Animal Cops, the 1's that they take off of people there and then
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2005, 10:21 AM
If you are in the UK then maybe you have not come across a pure Pitbull in the flesh?
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Official IOEBA Breed Standard

General Description: The American Pit Bull Terrier instantly gives the impression of being a canine of power, passion and undaunted determination.
The perfect APBT should be of medium to medium large in height and size with a brick-like head, which is especially broad in the cheek area due to the powerful muscles of the jaws. The APBT's muscular body gives the appearance of great athletic ability, a thick neck of medium length runs into a broad, deep and well-sprung chest. The APBT has a broad shoulder area and a thick powerful rear end. The APBT is a very muscular, powerful, yet agile dog which is extremely strong for it's size. The APBT should have an excellent temperament, and are quite intelligent. The temperament is to be very stable, loyal and trustworthy.
Their disposition should be outgoing, playful yet protective when needed.

Head : No other breed is as known for their unique head as is the APBT.
Large, broad and brick-like in shape. It gives the impression of enormous power, but should not be disproportionate to the overall size of the body.
The head appears to have been chiseled, combining strength, elegance and character. Very powerful looking in the cheeks.
Fault : Head too small or disproportionate to the body.

Muzzle : Broad, deep and of medium to medium short in length tapering slightly from the head to the nose. The bite should be a scissor bite.
Fault : Muzzle too long, over or under shot bite.

Eyes : Round, wide apart , deeply set and of moderate size. Any color is acceptable.

Nose : The nose should be large and broad.
Fault : Completely pink nose (a small amount is acceptable).

Neck : Medium in length. Should appear strong and muscular. Slight taper from the shoulders to the head.

Chest : Ribs should be well sprung (rounded) and the chest of medium width and deep.
Fault : Too wide or narrow in the chest.

Back : Solid and strong with a slight rise from the shoulders to the rump (level back is just as acceptable).

Legs : Forelegs should be stout and muscular, neither bowing out or turning in. Fault : Bowing or turned out resulting in poor movement.

Feet : Round and the pasterns should be strong and tight.
Fault : Down in the pasterns or splayed feet.

Height : Males - 15 to 20 inches at the shoulder. Females - 14 to 19 inches at the shoulder.
Fault : Too tall or large.

Weight : Males between 35 to 70 lbs and females 30 to 60lbs. No penalty for dogs above the standard weight as long as the dog is well proportioned.

Color : Any color or combination of colors is acceptable. The coat should be short, bristled and glossy.

Ears : Set high, natural or cropped. No preference.

Tail : Down to hock naturally. Shape resembles a pump handle.
Fault : Docked or screw tailed.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 10:33 AM
is it 1 april
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »