Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Loaning a horse??

I'm going to see a horse for loan on Friday, he's a 16.3hh, 12yr old TB gelding

I've only ever ridden friends or school horses before so what should I look out for??

Or, if you were loaning your horse out what would you be looking for in a prospective loanee

Thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:06 PM
PLEASE take someone with you who can remain emotionally detached, knows your abilities and knows a bit about horses.

Also read the two relevant downloads available on the BHS site!

https://www.bhs.org.uk/Horse_Care/Ho.../Download.aspx

Loan agreements can result in a lot of grief!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
PLEASE take someone with you who can remain emotionally detached, knows your abilities and knows a bit about horses.

Oh I am, I'm taking my friend who's much more horse savvy than me, she's owned them all her life and the only reason she doesn't have any to ride now is she's bringing on two foals

It's not a full loan, just part loan and the horse will be staying at his current yard
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:21 PM
How exciting!!

Nothing to add from what SB has said.

Have fun and pictures are required!!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
How exciting!!

Nothing to add from what SB has said.

Have fun and pictures are required!!
I used to ride Apollo a 16.2hh Anglo/Arab, my friends horse while she was pregnant but he's a 4yr old Stallion who's not really been ridden out much, I decided he's just a bit too much horse for me

Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I used to ride Apollo a 16.2hh Anglo/Arab, my friends horse while she was pregnant but he's a 4yr old Stallion who's not really been ridden out much, I decided he's just a bit too much horse for me
He looks nice, although I won't go near any horse that has Arab in it's breed name, bad experience as a teenager! haha!

I remember you said that you were thinking about a horse when we went on the walk and I'm so pleased the wheels are motion. You deserve something positive to look forward to!

Hope it all goes well when you go and see the horsey!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Thanks SB, I'll be printing of the agreement I'm going to have a look and then come away before making a decision - I'm a bit impulsive so have learnt (the hard way ) to walk away and think first

He looks nice, although I won't go near any horse that has Arab in it's breed name, bad experience as a teenager! haha!

I remember you said that you were thinking about a horse when we went on the walk and I'm so pleased the wheels are motion. You deserve something positive to look forward to!

Hope it all goes well when you go and see the horsey!
Thanks What made him worse was he's been used to cover a couple of mares and if he gets a whiff of a nice young lady he gets really hard to handle and almost throws a tantrum
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Good luck with the viewing. I think it is all too easy to be carried away by emotion, so it is great that your friend, who can remain detached, is going along too.

Hope it goes well. Will the part loan involve any vet/other fees and general care, or just riding?

Defo take a copy of the agreement home and read in full before signing anything

Look forward to hearing how it goes and seeing pics!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Oh I am, I'm taking my friend who's much more horse savvy than me, she's owned them all her life and the only reason she doesn't have any to ride now is she's bringing on two foals

It's not a full loan, just part loan and the horse will be staying at his current yard
You need to clarify what is your responsibility from the start..who pays the bills... who pays for vet treatment,

What happens if he goes lame (and needs lots of medical treatment) when you are riding him, so on and so on.

Write it all down before you take him on, and both parties must be happy with it,

Do not take a horse on that is to much for you, no matter how tempting.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
He looks nice, although I won't go near any horse that has Arab in it's breed name,
i know what you mean, this is our (bit if Arab in him ) boy, and the old saying ...when he was good he was verry good and when he was bad............

B]
Baileys Blind[/B] hope you dont mind me posting
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »