Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 09:30 AM

Dreaming Dpg

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine has a problem with there dog. The dog is Heinz 57 variety, about 8 - 9 years old male. The problem they have with it is when they go to bed and he goes to bed, he starts to dream - he makes strange noises and runs in his sleep, I know they all do that but he is to extreme, he is that bad he fell off the bed, he is jumping all over the place and it is getting to a point where they can't get any sleep because of him. They have tried putting him in a room of his own but he just howls the place down and also opens the door to get up to them.

Has any of you come across this or could you advise them on what to do, as they have been to the vets and he just using sedation all the time, which they don't really want to do.

Thanks

Ian
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Teagan dreams every night!
She howls, barks, yips, kicks her legs violently (mainly against the radiator, so it's bloomin loud!), her eyelicds flicker, her eyes sometimes come fully open. her whole body twitches, including her chops.

As she sleeps besides my bed, I hear it all the time, so if it gets too loud, I normally just say her name sternly "Teagan", and she quietens down.
I just got used to it, and can sleep through it!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Many dogs do this I think it can be so funny when they make litle noises and their legs move..chasing fillet steaks perhaps ?

Sorry Ian , no advice only perhaps ear pugs (the little foam squishy ones from boots are good ) and a long stick with an inflated rubber glove as a hand to prod with ..
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Funny you should put this post on, but i had the same problem last night with our Tina, she sleeps in our room (not on the bed though) She started off snoring which just got louder and louder normal for her and doesn,t bother me if i,m asleep before her (not very often) then she started to whine and woof this went on for ages. In the end i had to wake her up to stop it. She was o.k after apart from the snoring. I don,t think sedation is a good idea really but they could try a herbal remedy, they could try looking at the canine chemist website at the herbal products, they have a good variety of products http://caninechemists.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CANIKALM
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Ohh, Teagan snores too. Didn't write that before, how could I forget!
She is so loud when she snores, and cos of her short muzzle, it's very growly!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Polly our JRT is slightly brain damaged due to a stroke she had a few years ago, so she grunts when she gets over excited, eats gets a little to hot etc But when she dreams, she growls, grunts, snorts, kicks out and twitchs.
Where as Florrie, sleeps silently, she doesnt even move, infact i once thought she was dead as she doesnt even snore or snort LOL
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi, just an update, I told my friend about the canine chemist stuff, he has purchased some of it and it seems to be working, or rather starting to work on him, he isn't jumping up at people now and he is a lot calmer in himself although he is still have very restless nights but I am sure this will calm down after a while - he's only had a week of the powder so it is early days.

Thanks everyone.

Ian
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I can symapthize with this one ....Ozzy even howls in his sleep. The first time he did it, it scared me witless, I thought he was in agony and pelted downstairs expecting to see him writhing in agony....when I switched the light on he had the dopiest half asleep face on him, squinting at me as if to say "What'sup?"

He's done it a few times since and whilst it is very eerie and scares you to death (especially when you were fast asleep in the land of nod and he sounds like the Hound of The Baskervilles!!!) - we are quite used to it now!!!