register for free

Dog News

No formal dog ban on Combe Martin Beach - campaigners angry

A proposed ban on dogs on Combe Martin Beach, Devon has been abandoned after the parish council voted against a formal ban. Instead, the majority voted that dog owners should simply be requested not to take their dogs onto the beach between 1 May and 30 September. The decision has angered campaigners, who had wanted a permanent ban.

'Save Our Beach' campaigners have said that dog mess pollutes the already poor bathing water and discourages tourists to the village. They produced a survey earlier in the year, showing that more than 500 people in the village supported banning dogs from the whole beach from Easter to September. Combe Martin was in the news recently after South West Water pumped waste water from its three combined sewage overflows into the sea 42 times in 2011, after periods of heavy rain.

Campaigner Donna Green was reported as saying: “They [the council] have just made Combe Martin look stupid. There we are all over the national news about our bathing water and yet when we have a chance to do something to help it they do the opposite. They are not in it for the community.”

She went on to question how South West Water and the Environment Agency could be expected to clean up the water if dogs were “running all over it”, adding: “I would have preferred the partial ban to this. As it is only a request there can be no legal enforcement at all.”

Other members of the community voiced concerns that tourists would not want to visit. Terri Curtis, from Combe Martin's Tourist Information Centre, said: “All we have is our beach. The village will just become a dormitory for walkers now.”

If water quality is not improved by 2015, new Bathing Water Directive Standards will mean Combe Martin will have to display signs advising against bathing in the sea.

Your comments and views:
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:32 AM
They dump sewage into the water there, and they are worried about dogs on the beach? I know which one would worry me more if I lived there.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Ditto the above, are these people sure its dog mess on beach? If they are pumping sewage who knows (except I would know if it were my dogs cos I have a Poo-ology!). I really dont think it unrealistic to ask people to keep their dogs from the beach during summer months after all that happens on lots of beaches.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:45 AM
The only people looking stupid here are the ones blaming dogs for the woes of for the poor quality of the water and putting tourists off when human c**p is being pumped into the water by the ton. But it's a lot easier to bash dogs and their owners as scapegoats than take on South West Water. If there was a ban, how on earth would they enforce it? Would they townsfolk be out patrolling the beach and making citizen's arrests?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 11:22 AM
How stupid to blame dogs for the poor bathing water! How many dogs do they think are coming on the beach and pooping in the water then?! What ever next a ban on fish pooing in the water or how about requesting all seagulls carry out there 'functions' elsewhere.

As others have said its much more likely the tons of human poo being pumped into the water causing this then a few dogs.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 11:31 AM
It's a pretty miserable beach at CM anyway - can't think what the fuss is about. A bit of dog poo (as disgusting as it is) versus tonnes of sewage? I know which I would rather encounter. When you compare CM beach with some of the glorious beaches nearby, which are dog friendly even in the summer (although restricted as to where you can access with a dog in the summer months), it makes CM Council look ridiculous.

Personally, I do not pick up on sandy beaches. I carry a small spade with me and dig a very deep hole at least a foot deep and bury it. Very biodegradable and far more green than having plastic bags to dispose of. Must be well below the high tide mark though.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Hahaha this made me laugh!! The council are pumping sewage into the sea and people are moaning becuase dogs might swim in the sea and what, make it more dirty?!?!?

WTF do they think is in the sea? Who "bathes" in the sea anyway???
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Well if the raw sewage didn't put me off the friendly locals have.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top