Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2005, 10:18 PM

got a new pup on tuesday

Hi all
We got a new pup on Tuesday she's a 10 week old staffie, she hasn't had much in the way of handling and is very nervous and has never been walked before, byb said he only had time to feed the pups after work ect, but i fell in love with her an couldnt say no has any 1 any suggestions on how to help her overcome her nerves.

She's grand around my other two Staffies acts like a normal pup, she's absolutely terrified of people, she just lays down and trembles giving the sad sam eyes
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 10:41 PM
That's awful, what a shame. Sorry haven't got any bright ideas for you but I'm sure someone will reply soon
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2005, 10:54 PM
This article should help you: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/des...dogs_8050.html

If anything is unclear, or you have any questions, please ask
SB
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi Leila I would give the puppy a few days to settle in, then you need to try to build confidence, always bend down and let it come to you so it does not feel threatened, never shout or raise your voice and praise it when ever you can..there are a number of articles in the article section at the top of the page that may help you. It will take time for the puppy to learn to trust you and overcome its fear
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 10:56 PM
i had the same problem with topaz . i jusr remained calm and made no sudden movenents around her , she soon started coming to me , now she comes to me when ever shes nervous as she knows i will protect her and not harm her ,, just take things slow and dont inflict yourself on her let her come to you in her own time . shesll get there .. i have had topaz now for 3 weeks and shes so differnt from when i got her , shes still nervouse around others but great with me .
let her have a safety zone . some where she can run to when a little nervous or scared . if you watch her youl know where it is .. topazs safety zone was the sofa . any sudden noise or movement and she would run to the sofa and curl up on it ,
my advice would be to go slowly and let her trust you she will come around when shes ready .
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2005, 11:00 PM
thanx guys
I'll try and put some Piccy's of her on the pic's section L8r in the week.
Jet as we named her is nervous wont walk on a lead, has never worn a collar and is not used to being handled. She wont approach you willingly unless there is a large space between you and her even at the byb she was the same.

I've tried sitting patiently on the swings and letting her approach me but as soo as i put my hand down for her to sniff she runs a mile, I know it's gonna take some time and a lot of TLC
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 11:06 PM
try putting your hand donw befor she comes to you , if shes any thing like topaz the sudden movement no matter how slow will scare her off .. its hard going believe me but worth the trouble ..
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2005, 11:12 PM
will she take a goodie of you? it might help her to understand hands are nice things and not to fear you.
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2005, 11:29 PM
She wont take a goodie from my hand, but I'm a sly old fox I sat on the kitchen floor last night for a good three hours ( i think i have piles now ) and had previously laid out a line of treats from the back door to where i was sitting and she got about three foot from my feet and i had pins and needles by this time and twitched my foot and she bolted straight back out the door laid down and looked at me.
The funny thing is when she's with Simba and Nadi she forgets to be scared and runs to me when they do it's a bit frustrating to say the least.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2005, 10:19 AM
maybe thats all thats needed call the others and she might realise that she is close to you but its ok.
its still early she will drop her guard at some time just a case of waiting for her to come out of her shell it will be worth it pic of the first cuddle please.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >