View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Rules (/good manners) for dog owners - add yours!

If we could make a list of rules for dog owners what would you add?

My first rule would be:

Rule 1
When out in public - if your dog is off lead and you see another dog and their owner approaching recall your dog and put him or her on a lead. (And if the other owner does not, signal for them to do the same).

Why?
So introductions can be done in a calm, controlled and safe fashion!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:00 PM
I get what you are saying but in general Mia cant greet other dogs if they are on lead
She is 90% OK if she is on the lead and the other dog is offlead
and pretty much fine if both she and the other dog are offlead
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

My first rule would be:

Rule 1
When out in public - if your dog is off lead and you see another dog and their owner approaching recall your dog and put him or her on a lead. (And if the other owner does not, signal for them to do the same).

Why?
So introductions can be done in a calm, controlled and safe fashion!
I agree, I have never been so terrified yesterday, took Bella in to a field and 8 dogs came bounding up to me, some barking, Bella was on lead- I am still not confident as only had her 3 weeks . I screamed- couldn't let Bella off as still working on recall.....the lady came over (she was a dog walker) and said " good to see your dog took them all well" I was shaking like a leaf
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:02 PM
If you wouldn't let a German shepherd do it, don't let your small breed do it.
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:03 PM
My Rule would have to be

" pick up your dog's poo" If I have the common courtesy to do it then why shouldn't you?

(not impressed with dog poo up my kids legs, over their trainers)
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bella2012 View Post
My Rule would have to be

" pick up your dog's poo" If I have the common courtesy to do it then why shouldn't you?

(not impressed with dog poo up my kids legs, over their trainers)
i second that one
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I get what you are saying but in general Mia cant greet other dogs if they are on lead
She is 90% OK if she is on the lead and the other dog is offlead
and pretty much fine if both she and the other dog are offlead
Same with Benjie. He's fine when he's offlead and the other dog is offlead.

I would just like common courtesy and basic manners shown when I'm walking my dogs.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

My first rule would be:

Rule 1

Surely you don't mean this to apply in parks though?

I would be constantly putting on and then taking off Dex's lead!

Also, many dogs feel most UNsafe when on the lead, so if anything this rule would just increase the number of fraught greetings.

When we're at the park, if a dog coming towards us is off lead, and if the owner seems relaxed, I assume the dog is friendly. No way would I want to go and put my dog back on the lead just for a greeting.

Of course, if an approaching dog is on lead, I recall Dex and pop him back on the lead or just keep him walking away from the other dog, off lead.

But no way would I agree with the rule you have proposed here, - sorry
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
If your offlead dog is bounding up to my two, at least look like you have noticed, that i will be calling mine in or at least instructing gentle as one of mine is a little storming norman, so i will choose which is appropriate according to her body language and the other dog involved.

But that doesnt mean you are devoid of all responsibility for your dog!

Pick up the poo, it is blooming annoying to be picking up poo from mine whilst dodging poo from yours!

Do not call my dog a bitch because she turned her head to get her backside away from your dog sniffing it repeatedly for a very long time to the point she had had enough!

And yes my two love their balls, but they are not going to eat your dog, because they havent dropped their balls and it is very hard to swallow a dog with a ball in your mouth! They may squash him though if he insists on running between their legs and up to their heads when they were 300 yards from you when your dog ran over.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Surely you don't mean this to apply in parks though?

I would be constantly putting on and then taking off Dex's lead!

Also, many dogs feel most UNsafe when on the lead, so if anything this rule would just increase the number of fraught greetings.

When we're at the park, if a dog coming towards us is off lead, and if the owner seems relaxed, I assume the dog is friendly. No way would I want to go and put my dog back on the lead just for a greeting.

Of course, if an approaching dog is on lead, I recall Dex and pop him back on the lead or just keep him walking away from the other dog, off lead.

But no way would I agree with the rule you have proposed here, - sorry
Agree. Imagine constantly stopping and starting to put leads on and greet other dogs!

Obviously if the other dog is on lead, then that is different.

Then you have the problem of dogs who do not like to greet when on lead, but are fine off lead etc etc...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »