Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 11:56 PM

Those of you who have made the decision to put an elderly dog to sleep

When did you know it was their time to go.

I feel I should start considering it.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 12:14 AM
We, very sadly had to say goodbye to our Manchester Terrier on Easter Monday last year. She was 21 years old.

She had had a wonderful life, but was riddled with arthritis. She struggled getting up the three steps to the front door.

But Easter Monday morning, we knew. She was telling us. She had had enough. We took her to the emergency vet and he advised that even if he gave her a course of abs and steroids, she wouldn't last 3 months.

She had that look in her eye, and her behaviour was completely different.

She knew, and we knew
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 06:45 AM
I decided at the end of January this year. My oldie was 14.5 and had been having 'seizures' for a few weeks but they were becoming worse and more frequent so the vet put her on epiphen but all that did was make her incontinent during the collapse. She was becoming distressed as well and her quality of life (apart from eating which was fine) had become much lower. I had more or less decided that the end was imminent but the final straw was when she staggered into the kitchen one morning and collapsed in a huge puddle of wee and poo. The vet came out that day..........................
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 06:53 AM
I had Roxy put to sleep almost three years ago. She was 13.1/2.

It was time - she was lame, had arthritis, and no quality of life to speak of.

She told me herself, really, and it broke my heart to see her so poorly and sad.

Better a week too early than a day too late....

x0x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 07:21 AM
I don't subscribed to the 'day too early' theory probably because my dogs have always made it clear when life has become too much for them. With Jade, she had cancer and deteriorated rapidly. With Sam, it was a combination of arthritis, HD and old age that crept up on him. Both times, on the final day the light went from their eyes and so they were helped over to the bridge
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2012, 07:23 AM
I had one of my elderly lurchers pts in november. He had been getting worse for sometime and now and then his back legs would go he would pace around the kitchen not knowing what he was doing. I just woke up one morning and thought enough and made the appointment just wamted it over asap. So I couldn't change my mind. I still have his brother from the same litter and he is still fit and strong and will be 15 in may.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 08:18 AM
When they have little quality of life left .
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I don't subscribed to the 'day too early' theory probably because my dogs have always made it clear when life has become too much for them. With Jade, she had cancer and deteriorated rapidly. With Sam, it was a combination of arthritis, HD and old age that crept up on him. Both times, on the final day the light went from their eyes and so they were helped over to the bridge
I feel that way too.

We had our nearly 15 year old working sheepdog put to sleep just after Christmas two years ago. She had had a good and long life, she had quality of life right up until the end, but on her last morning she had developed a cough and the look in her eyes told us what needed to be done. I think your dear elderly dog will let you know.

Hugs xxx It is not an easy time
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I also agree they let you know. In my lifetime I have had to say goodbye to 6 dogs this way. I can honestly say each one told me on the day,the light goes out of their eyes and you just know somehow they have decided it's their time to go and we have to be strong for them.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-03-2012, 09:15 AM
my old boy told me, his eyes said time was up.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >