Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lady_josephine
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Nervous/warning grumbling

We have a 8month old wire fox terrier- and he is the most friendly/lively and happy dog in the world- loves people and dogs- But he is getting increasingly vocal in the house about dogs on tv or noises outside the garden he can't see...and then last night/this morning grumbling for what appears to be no reason...

In the house he never barks- just does what I would call grumbling if he sees dogs on tv-low noises like a creaking door- he doesnt show his teeth or show any signs of aggression but sometimes looks to just for reassurance.
In the back garden we have high fences and if there are noises outside that he can't see he gives off a warning grumble then makes short what i would call warning barks- again it doesnt seem aggressive but warning and nervy...

We find it odd as he has never barked at another dog and is extemely friendly and doesnt show any signs of nervousness other than in these cases... even guests at to the door (such as friends or the post office) as greeted with wagging tales and excitment not noise...
We have tried several training techniques- first 'quiet' training- we struggle because he is such a quiet dog 90% of the time we havent been able to train him to 'speak' to then train 'quiet'... he seems to know what quiet means because if outside and we say quiet most of the time he will run inside given the chance- but if we try to go to him he will run around 'playing'

We also tried ignoring him completely if he barks/grumbles- even leaving the room/garden if he does it when we are there because we were concerned it was an attention thing but that hasnt worked either....
Could anyone out there give advice- he is the best dog in the world and extremely happy and friendly and excitable but for these nervy grumbles...

The barking isnt even excessive compared to other dogs but it concerns us because he seems nervous and we don't want the problem to get worse...
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I will watch this thread with interest as this is something my dog also does, although she has a nervous temperament anyway.
So far nothing I do can stop her really but some suggestions;

Turn the music/other background noise up to mask what is bothering him.
Try distracting her; call him or ask for a sit. Generally they will not do both at once.
Try not to give him attention for the grumbling as this only seves to tell him he is right to be concerned about the noises.

Hope you get some more helpful responses soon!
lady_josephine
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks, it seems to be visual things in the house rather than noises-so music might not work but I might try doing 'training' whenever he grumbles- sit, stay, paw, beg etc... that way he isn't getting 'positive' reinforcement for making noises but it will distract him...
At the moment its not serious- I know some dogs are just vocal about things but I want to nip the problem in the bud before it escalates.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Ah ok yes well then perhaps move him away from the visual stimulus and ask for an incompatible behavior.

I think it's better to stop the dog as otherwise they have a tendency to wind themselves up.

If he will not be distracted perhaps just move calmly to another room?
lady_josephine
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I will certainly try that in the house. I think that could really work- it takes him away from what is making him nervous but it also shows him barking grumbling doesnt get a reward...
Outside will be harder I think- the second you try to get him to come inside he thinks its a game and runs off to play- but that is a recall training issue anyway so I will work on that and try removing him/distracting from situations whenever he barks.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Dogs go through a second fear stage between about 6 - 14 months.

Dogs can often get worried if they hear sounds they cannot put into context eg without seeing what caused it. Once they can, they often dismiss them.

This is why Sound CDs are not the panacea many assume them to be.

You also have a breed which is predisposed to watchdog behaviour and alarm barking.

Is he castrated? If not his hormones will also be kicking in.

You may find the following useful.

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...nicbarking.htm
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 06:08 PM
With regards to barking outside I found the best way to stop that was to put the dog on a long line.
Let them out in to the garden. The second the barking starts bring them back inside (the line stops them running off and turning it in to a game).
They soon learn that they don't get to have fun in the garden when they bark.

And yes.. working on recall will also help but make sure you don't always call the dog then shut them in or the dog will stop finding coming to your recall cue rewarding. If they are going to get shut away and their fun is ruined then why bother.... So mix it up with rewards, let them in, then out etc.
Good luck
lady_josephine
New Member!
Female 

16-03-2012, 12:19 PM
We haven't had him castrated yet because he isnt fully grown and the vet advised waiting til 12mnths...
I do think hormones are a problem- and the second fear stage makes sense.
He is a full of energy dog and just moving the lead sends him crazy excited so Im not sure how effective it would be (even after a three hour run on sunday we got in 15mins later we were tidying up- moved the lead and he went crazy again!)
Sounds outside are a problem but visual things inside...It is suprising that they are known to be watchdogs- I have had fox and welsh terriers all my life but never had a dog that barks.. thats the wonderful thing about dogs- you are always learning something!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 12:24 PM
You have classically conditioned the dog to expect a walk when you touch the lead.

So now you can desensitise him to it by holding it, carrying it, wearing it etc so that merely touching a lead does not = walk and thus excitement.

People are usually very predictable especially to dogs, so do not make touching the lead a predictor..........