Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Stressed Puppy

My OH been's doing some training with pup with treats, recall mainly and she's doing rreally well

So today I thought I'd try her with her ball, she loves it and I don't want her to think that she gets food everytime

When she came back to me I threw the ball for her (only a few feet ) and she kind of brings it back, she likes to run past you all proud like 'look what I've got mum' you have to get hold of her at this point or she starts looking for somewhere to hide it and seems to get really stressed about it, she'll go under bushes or start digging to make a hole to put the ball in, put the ball down move slightly away then go back for it and start looking for somewhere else all the time whining - it sounds like a worried whine not a happy whine if you know what I mean

Should I discontinue usuing the ball for a while ?? I don't want her getting stressed out and worried when we're out
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
I was reading my puppy book the other day...the reason they run past you, is because you 'take' it from them. Try and coax her back, and you may have to treat her for a while to begin with when she drops it for you to pick it up. She will soon learn, when you take the ball, it just means more fun!

At the moment it sounds like she is trying to get it away from you lol. Probably sees it as her 'prized possession' and no one is going to get it....if that makes sense?!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
That isa spaniel---it is why so many end up with problems.

Teach her that anything she has in her mouth can be swopped for a treat----even if it is something she shouldn't have, Don't chase her for it, don't ever tell her off for it and don't try dragging her or cornering her for it. Let her come to you and make it a nice experience.

I'd just use treats for training until you have a rock solid hold and give.

rune
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
for pups and all dogs, i sit down and toss,never reaching out to grab,and i dont speek to them,the more you are uninterested, the close they will come, i dont use treats, i use touch and body language,time and effort will allow the dog to see results that are in there favor.repitition...if my guys dont come back,the game is over, i will try agian ,after iv walked away.dogs will take and hide stuff because of instict,its hard to get them to go agianst that..imo...a good trust between you and the pup will allow the dog to undestand that the ball,or toy, is theres and they see that they can share,,,thats how i do it,have fun
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm working on her giving it back willingly - it was the trying to bury/hide it and getting upset that concerned me

Pop n Kiz love to play fetch but they never got so upset over having hold of the ball With them it was more a case of 'chase me' (which I didn't do) not hide it.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 01:23 PM
I would say try playing fetch (to begin with) indoors (if you can).

What breed is the pup?

With Bella, I can't give her bones in the garden, because she will dig a huge hole, and then bury it!
She hides them in the house too (behind curtains, under the furniture)...can't quite understand it. The only way I see it is that its her prized possession and she doesn't want me to have it...which - fair does...she doesn't get aggressive if I do take them, so I let her get on with hiding ^.^ xx
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
sorry, i get you,interesting.if the pup is burring things and sounding up set,it might not be what she is looking for,they will hide things to come back and retieve later,mine do.i allso have a dog that just will not ingage in a retive game at all.he is just not interested, he loves the car tier as the rest are running for balls.for you, it may be as simple as the item you are throwing.does not want you to have it.may be the pup is upset, its not something they prefere, interesting behavior,
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Use two toys. As she gets near with the first, show her how excited you are by the second. When she drops the first, throw the second. Keep swapping.

Rosie is 5 months now and has had an excellent retrieve from the second week of having her - we used this method to start her off
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 02:04 PM
I would be careful doing this with a spaniel---it could end up a lot more stressed.

Speaking from experience here!

rune
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
try a bird wing,with feathers...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >