Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Lump in neck

Should I be concerned about an egg-size lump in Pereg's neck [in front of her trachea] which is clearly defined but soft-ish and movable? I noticed it on Friday evening while cuddling her as with such a thick scruff it was not noticeably visible, I just felt it.

Her collar is not tight - she wears an EzyDog collar size Large which would slip over her head if a leash was attached to it - she only wears it for her tags, as her leash or rope are attached to her harness.

The lump was still there yesterday but by evening was smaller, and now I cannot feel it. But it was definitely there, and large, so what could it be? From my knowledge of "nasty" neck lumps they do not just shrink and disappear, but I am rather concerned as this lump just appeared, was large, and now appears to have gone.

For various reasons I do not want to take her to the Vet at the moment, and am just wondering whether such lumps appearing and then disappearing are anything to worry about.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Could she of had a tick as if my dog get a tick they often have a large lump from where it has bitten but it soon goes down again.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I was thinking the same as lotsforus. Do your vets offer advice over the phone rather than you actually having to take Pereg in?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 12:15 PM
The fact that the lump disappeared I personally would assume that it won't be anything nasty! As you say 'nasty' lumps do not come and go. I would just keep an eye on it and check the area daily. It could easily be an insect bite or just a soft tissue injury. One of mine had a lump the size of half a golf ball on the back of his neck (between his shoulder blades). My two race round and I figured it was from racing under a coffee table that is really too low for one of them. It was there for nearly two weeks but did get smaller. It turned out that he had clonked his microchip which had made the area swell.
There was a lot of heat coming off my dogs lump. Was there heat coming off Pereg's lump? Heat usually means injury.

Keep us informed, but hopefully the lump on Pereg won't return.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Definitely not a bite, and no heat. She was quite happy for me to examine it/her thoroughly so it was obviously not causing her any problems regarding pain or discomfort.

It was an oval not a round lump, and about the size of a medium/large egg. I initially thought it was a swollen lymph gland, maybe a thyroid gland, but it was central and not one or both sides of her trachea. It did not bother her, she has been eating, drinking, peeing and pooing normally, and in spite of the current disturbances she has not been showing any sign of distress.

The thing is that Pereg has a massive scruff with loads of easily grabbed thick skin [her delight is me grabbing each side and rubbing up and down singing silly songs while she goes all giggly] which is why she wears the large collar. And since she lost weight/fat her skin is fairly loose all over, even more so round her neck area. [I do not think I am explaining myself too well, sorry ]

It is not from a migrating microchip as that has never shifted since it was first put in, and I make the vets and nurses laugh because I always want them to check it.

Maybe I am a bit over-protective of her? But it really was a very large lump and I was really scared when I felt it. And then this morning it had gone. Which puzzles me as it is just not logical.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Maybe Pereg has an infection or is fighting an infection off.

Worth keeping an eye on and her general health and vets are happy to talk over the phone but of course cannot give a diagnosis.

I hope it dissapears and stays gone.