Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DollyDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2012, 12:15 AM

My dog has not had her first season yet at 2 1/2 years old

Hiya, I planned to spay my cocker spaniel after she had her first season, but she is 2 and a half now and still has not had a season yet. I read online about silent heats but for this to happen surely they must still get swollen? and i have never noticed any swelling or any interest from other dogs. Maybe she is infertile somehow. If this is the case, is there any point in spaying?

Thanks
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2012, 12:25 AM
My advise would be to see a vet.

We do see a few dogs who have very late first seasons, but they are usually not infertile, so don't presume that until it is medically confirmed.

If she is infertile, it may still be worthwhile spaying. It depends why you were going to spay - risks such as pyometra are not reduced by infertility.
DollyDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
My advise would be to see a vet.

We do see a few dogs who have very late first seasons, but they are usually not infertile, so don't presume that until it is medically confirmed.

If she is infertile, it may still be worthwhile spaying. It depends why you were going to spay - risks such as pyometra are not reduced by infertility.

Thanks - will be going to see a vet, just wondered what people's thoughts on here were and if any similar experience.
I'm not just presuming she is infertile but for a small dog like her i thought 2 1/2 years is a bit excessive and maybe infertility could be a possibility.
I didn't know that about pyometra - thought that the chances of it increased with every season, and since if she was infertile and wouldnt have a season , the chance isn't increased?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm trying to think how old Dotty, setter, was when she had her first season. Think it was over 18 months. She is very difficult to tell when she is in season - the only way we do know, is when the dogs show a bit of an interest in her.

Helen
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:59 AM
I would definitely see the vet now to have her checked out.