Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:25 PM

Feeding advice please

Until a couple of weeks ago, we fed Cassie at tea time. It seemed to be the cause of her occasionally not managing to stay clean on a night so decided to start feeding her at lunch time. Since the change, she rarely touches her food.
She does get a lot of treats for training at the moment and these treats are a complete food so we aren't too worried. Still think it may be the change in time. She goes out about 9am for at least 1 hour and then again about 3pm for another good hour. Both of these outings mean loads of treats.
Could this be the reason she won't eat when it's put down? OH says she's not interested in eating at 12:00 as she's knackered after her morning walk. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Have you thought about splitting her food into 2 small meals?
In the morning, then in the evening?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Good idea, keep them coming
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond
Good idea, keep them coming
hehe

Teagan won't eat 1 big meal, so I feed her about 9am, then again about 7pm. But we don't go to bed until about 12, so she has plenty of time to go to the toilet!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:35 PM
She just won't touch her dry food at all at the moment but loves the Frolics she gets for treats.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:37 PM
my two are fed twice aday once in the morning and once at night i leave the high rised dishes down for them cos they never eat all what is put down and beings there in out all day playing they are able to come in and finish what they are eating but once its emptied its removed untill there next meal they get treats if they have done good, i found giving them treats through the day they werent inintersted in there food so all treats stopped and now they enjoy there food and also look forward to having a treat
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Just as I suspected, cut back on the treats. Think we'll start an early morning small feed also and go from there
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 10:18 PM
i cut back on the treats becos they didnt eat all there food and the main reason for this was cos of the treats cutting back does really help hope it works for you let us know how you get on
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 06:35 AM
How old is she and (sorry I am slow on the uptake) 2 meals a day you are trying to feed.

Would suggest that the treats should be removed from the food she would get any way, sort out the amount of food into a bowl in the morning and only give her food from that bowl, be it treat or dinner.

Could be that an hours exercise at a time is too much and she is too tired to eat, perhaps 4 half hour sessions would be better. It is best not to feed a full meal within an hour of exercise either before or after.

EDIT to say: if she does not like her food perhaps you could change it, has she just decided she does not like it, is she near her season?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
She is 11 months old. She's definitely not too tired to eat, just really likes her treats! She's been fine eating on a teatime so it's not the food, think just the change in timing. Tried to feed her this morning but didn't want anything to do with it. She's never been a big eater really. She currently has 3 different kinds of dry so I think she's just being a bit of a mare. Has been spayed since 6 months. Only trying to feed her once a day as she gets treats twice a day when she's out.