Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Adding bran to a dog's dinner? Grain Free dog food suggestions

Im sorry but it's another post about Maddi's bowels!!

Maddi has finished her course of antibiotics for the campylobacter and we are now waiting another week before doing the second stool sample to see if it has gone. However after the full course of antibiotics and then some additional antibiotics Maddi is still suffering from diarroeah. It isn't every day which it was before the campylobacter diagnosis, and most days her poos are firm, but then every few days she will have both firm poos and diarroeah. She also goes an awful lot and produces a tremendos amount of poo. Sorry if anyone having a late dinner .

I have added banana to her diet for prebiotics and sprinkle probiotics over her meal once a day. The vet has advised me to add bran to her diet, a handful in each feed. I have followed his advise but was unsure about doing this. If shes got IBD or something surely this would be the worst thing to do?? She is currently on Chappie dry dog food, but am thinking of going cereal free. So can anyone recommend a grain free dry food please that is affordable.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Can't advise about the bran (except to say that oat bran might be tolerated better than wheat bran) but Vitalin Adult Maintenance is one of the cheaper grain free foods, I feed it myself and am very happy with it
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I tried bran for a few days after being advised by the vet as kestral needed her glands doing.
He suggested 1tsp, it probably wasnt enough as it did nothing and I gave up with it.

Kestral is on grain free - usually fish 4 dogs. For my 13kg dig this works out at £3 per week.
I recently ran out of f4d so bought a bag of fishmongers (from Pah). It's a bit cheaper and seems very similar ingredients wise.

Lastly, I'm sure your not as you have been having trouble previously with her toilets, but sloppy stools can be a sign of overfeeding too.

Good luck
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi, thanks for the suggestion I will look into Vitalin and Fish4Dogs. She is very skinny and I am having trouble putting weight on her, her ribs are very visible. I'm not overfeeding her honest

I like the sound of applaws, anyone any experiences of this one?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I didnt think but just thought I'd mention it

I like the look of applaws but it's quite pricey. Only a bit more meat than f4d but costs about £5 per kg as opposed to £3.

OHs family puppy eats it and seems to like it though. I have found kestral puts on weight quite easily on these quality foods as you really don't have to feed much and I think I over do it slightly, she's been on a new year diet!
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:00 PM
How much is the fish for dogs? And where do you get it from? Online?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I get fish4dogs online from petsupermarket £36 for 12kg is the cheapest I have found. (free delivery)
Fishmongers is £30 for 10kg so not much difference - only worth it for me as I get it for £24.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Now liking the look of this fishmongers! Dont suppose you happen to have the feeding guidelines? Im wondering how much a 10kg dog would eat per day, so I can work out how long 10kg bag would last?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:25 PM
General guide is around 100grams per 10kg of dog weight.
This seems about right as I use 1 12kg bag every 3 months which is 130 grams a day and kestral is 13kg.
I feed by eye though just happens to work out that way.

P.s I only get fishmongers for 20% off with staff discount so otherwise it works out exactly the same price as fish 4 dogs if my maths is correct.

Hope it all works out for you, let us know what you go for and how you get on!