Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Half raw half commercial?

Does anybody feed there dog both?
Duke rarely eats his morning meal but happily eats it in the evening but it means hes only eating half of what he should (and hes already thin).
I was thinking about giving him a few chicken wings or some tripe/mince instead of the dry food in the morning. Would this be ok? I've been told i shoudn't as they digest at different rates so just wanted to make sure really.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 05:23 PM
That sounds good to me. I've heard that about the digestion rates too, but that was more for if they were fed together in the same meal... although, people still do that and never have any issues.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I am trialling feeding half and half at the mo. Kibble in the morning and Natural Instinct in the evening - could not stomach raw meat first thing! I may or may not continue, but if I do the raw component won't be NI, lovely and convenient though it is, as it's hugely expensive. I'm still mulling it over and need to research. Lack of freezer space is one thing stopping me from going fully raw but half and half (along with a change to grain free kibble) could be a good compromise - I'm absolutely fine with feeding a decent quality commercial diet but Gelert's persistent anal gland problems (which I feel I'm constantly mentioning atm ) make me want to try a change.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Doesnt it work out more expensive??

what with the price of a good quality dry food???

you could also unbalance the complete dry why not try him on a mixer? Pets at home do their own brand.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Tess and Maisie eat kibble with raw mixed in eg tripe or chicken mince.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I had actually planned to do that with Ben, but I got so excited with the raw that I accidently just totaly made the switch
But it should be perfectly OK like that, I have even heard people say tripe is fine to mix with kibble in the same meal no problems

Pippan, it is a great myth that the pet food companies have led us into that you are going to 'unbalance' the compleate - I used to believe that myself
But if you think about it - kibble is (supposed) to give the dogs everything they need - so imagine its like a nice meal of beans on toast
Raw gives plenty of our dogs everything they need as well - so a bit like a nice salmon salad
You would never say not to eat the salad because it will umbalance the other thing - a good variaty of healthy foods compliment each other
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I always mixed in raw tripe with kibble for Zena from puppyhood, on the instructions of my breeder (who knows what she's doing!).

When she was an adult, I'd sometimes give just the raw tripe in the morning (coz she was just like Duke with her brekkie) and then kibble at night with something mixed in.

Raw digests quicker, so it will be long gone by the time you feed that evening meal anyway.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Mine get fed both no problems. Never really understood the significance of digestion rates?

It's like saying a steak will digest at a different rate to chocolate cake, yet I had both this evening within 15 mins of each other
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Mine get fed both no problems. Never really understood the significance of digestion rates?

It's like saying a steak will digest at a different rate to chocolate cake, yet I had both this evening within 15 mins of each other
Its cos theres such a difference, having seen the results I dont recomend mixing.. but then I think if you stuck with that, they would get used to it and it would be ok?

Feeding two meals separately, one raw, one cooked, I don't think should cause too many issues. I think to a point it may just depend on your dog though.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Mine are on half and half...they get different kibbles thrown at them on a weekly basis..all happy and normal here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »