View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 09:58 PM

Can you reverse the process of slightly shrunk jeans?

I tumble dried my jeans by mistake.......they are M & S with stretchy stuff in them.

They used to fit absolutely perfectly, but now are slightly tight and uncomfortable, so is there any way that I can stretch them again please

Oh.........and before anyone comes up with the obvious "have you got fat", no I haven't!!!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 10:04 PM
The more I wear a pair of jeans, the looser they get, so persevere for a couple of days and see if that helps! I have to tumble dry my jeans or I spend all day pulling them up!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
The more I wear a pair of jeans, the looser they get, so persevere for a couple of days and see if that helps! I have to tumble dry my jeans or I spend all day pulling them up!
Yes, that normally happens with me too - so it must be sod's law that the one time they accidentally go through the hot tumble they are now stubbornly refusing to expand again. I am a little too long in the tooth to be wearing skin tight jeans
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2012, 01:37 AM
If the jeans won't work with you and stretch and you really like them, you could starve yourself and get skinny enough to fit into them comfortably
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Wash them again [or just soak them] in cool water, which should relax the fibres, sprin them and then put them through the tumble drier on the lowest heat setting.

It might work and is worth a try.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
If the jeans won't work with you and stretch and you really like them, you could starve yourself and get skinny enough to fit into them comfortably
Not sure that my frame could take being starved!!! The jeans were size 8 you see, and I have no ambition to be a size 6. Might just be better to get a new pair
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Wash them again [or just soak them] in cool water, which should relax the fibres, sprin them and then put them through the tumble drier on the lowest heat setting.

It might work and is worth a try.
I will give it a go, but without the tumble drier as there is no very low setting.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I will give it a go, but without the tumble drier as there is no very low setting.
You said you had put them through dryer on the hot setting - do you have two settings, one high and one medium? If so, put them in on the medium setting for say half an hour [it will not dry them, just take some of the dampness out] - take them out and try to stretch them a bit by pulling lengthways and sideways, and hang them somewhere for a while.

Then repeat the process until they are dry enough to pull on and see if they have stretched. If they have then just air dry them. If they have not then it looks like you will have to buy a new pair.

But it might work and is, I think, worth a try.

Good luck!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I am a little too long in the tooth to be wearing skin tight jeans
But I'm sure you'd look fantastic in them
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
But I'm sure you'd look fantastic in them
You smoothie you Hah, you are as bad as my husband, but as I said to him.........wearing size 6 when you are size 8 jeanwise is something south of comfortable

Malka, I will be washing them tomorrow and as there is no low tumble dry setting will just let them dry naturally with a lot of tugging and stretching. Here's hoping, otherwise it's a quick on-line order for some more.