Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Herbies_mum
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2012, 02:17 PM

Cat deterrent that won't affect my dog

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me? I've had a real problem recently with a cat 'visiting' my garden. We have been shooing it away but a few days ago my dog had a nasty tummy bug, he was sick etc... He's not a scavenger; he isn’t interested in any food other than his food in his bowl so I know he’s not been ill through that. BUT I did spot some animal sick in the garden in a couple of spots and the cat mess in the dug over veg beds. I am really concerned the cat had left bugs that have made my dog ill; I also have children so am concerned about them when they are playing in the garden.
I have looked at some of the sonic cat deterrents as they appear to be quite successful, but I don’t know if they will affect my dog. I don’t want him upset by anything I use and I need him to be able to use the garden as normal.
Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 04:56 PM
You could try the fence edging you can get its rubber i think but has spikes on it to deter cats from coming in the garden, not sure how effective it is though
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I've never used one of the sonic cat deterrents, my sister has because she was plauged by cats in her garden, she has young children and was worried about the amounts of poo that the cats were depositing in her garden. I don't think that they affect dogs (although you can get a similar one to deter foxes which I believe does cause a problem for dogs).

My sister found it very successful although I think that older cats will be less affected by it because of the change in their hearing. She didn't have a mains supply and she did find that it went through the batteries really quickly (probably due to the high volume of cats that went through).
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Water is good for discouraging cats.

Also cats don't like citrus oil

There are allsorts of other things on the site
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Someone once told me that Orange peel or lemon peel works against cats. Don't know how it works but apparently it's good
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 11:34 PM
They dislike citrus smells, spread lemon, lime, orange etc skins all round where the cat frequents. Lift any cat poo (usually they bury it) and place your dog's poo in it's place - cats go back to the same areas - they get the message if the dog poo is where tney toilet. If you see the cat squirt it with a water pistol - they hate water. The water won't hurt them.

Cat poo is a very very attractive snack to some dogs .............

Lastly - have you actually seen the cat being sick?
Herbies_mum
New Member!
Female 

30-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Thank you so much for all of the replies. I am going to try the citrus ideas first, I've also read they don't like garlic too so will try that.

I have also put the poo back into the route that I think the animal has taken as I have read that they don't liike mess?!

I didn't see the cat being sick but I have in the meantime seen that my next door neighbour has a cat bowl in her hedge so she must be feeding either her cat, a stray or now I'm wondering about a fox?!

Herbie is now much better but he's been really funny about going into the garden...again wondering if it has been a fox.

Thanks again for the replies x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 06:12 PM
I tried ornage peel in my flower tubs in the summer which the cats were digging and toileting in. They just scrapped the orange peel out of the way before they went. it didn't help at all.
They do it at night down on my flower beds so I never catch them at it. I have now bought some metal cats with shiny eyes to put down there to see if they keep them away. I have tried so many sprays and cat deterrent granules its incredible. They also went on my dog poo I placed in the flower bed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I find one of these does the job.

Try a sprinkler?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Likewise, one of these OUGHT to do the job, and boy does he try so very hard but the wretched things just keep coming back.

We have a sort of sonic gun thingy which when aimed at the cat emits a very high pitched sound which sends them zooming off at great speed..........but still they come back
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >