Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kim drury
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2012, 08:16 AM

Demodex mange

hi i have a saint bernard who has demodex mange ,i wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem with there pet.as my dog is having treatment for his problem but his skin on his under side is constantly damp and sticky just wondered if this was all part of the demodex mange?
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi Kim and welcome to the forum. I noticed you posted on my thread for advice re: "coles before and after treatment." I thought I would post my response on your thread rather than mine.

The following is what I have used on Coles to clear up his skin:-

1. Bath 3 times a week in malaseb shampoo (for skin infection & hotspots) He still has 3 baths a week in this shampoo. Alternative I used to use is Episoothe shampoo (Very good for itchy dog).

2. Panomec oral medication for mites. Ongoing treatment for life.

3. Dermacton spray (relieves itching & promotes hair re-growth) Still using - good to relieve his itchy skin due to dust mite allergy. Available at the following site:

http://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem...og-canine.html

4. Fish4dogs salmon oil everyday

5. Hypoallergenic diet containing fish and potato.

With regards to your dog being wet and sticky on his undercarriage, does he have a skin infection/hot spots? The only time Coles has been wet and sticky was when he had a skin infection and hot spots.

Coles has been receiving treatment for his mites since August. As you have seen from the pics he is looking a lot better, however, he still has some balding in places. So to get him looking that good it has taken 5 months.

HTH your dog and if you require any further information, please ask.
kim drury
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2012, 10:07 AM
hi thanks for your reply .i am doing all the things you have mentioned. but he doesent seem to be improving that much i am going to my vets today to pick up a dip wash for him so fingers crossed this will make a difference.. hes been suffering with this for almost 11 mths .as the first 9 mths the vets were treating him for allergies ..but from the end of November i have changed vets and she agreed with me that the steroids thet he was having made the mites super stong .so the mange has now got to be treated more aggressively .the sticky skin is just awful hopefully the wash i get today from my vet will do the trick .hes still on very strong antibiotics for the infection he got on top of everything .
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I think now you have changed vets and have him on the right treatment, the mites should start clearing up but it will take a long time for his skin to show significant improvement.

Hopefully he will start to recover from this awful skin irritation.
kim drury
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2012, 11:47 AM
thank you.