Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Look what I just bought...!

Just caused a bit of a stir in Asda when I bought this.....

I went to Asda in an area which is in a heavily populated Muslim area so it's butchers sell exclusively halal meat. I was wondering through and spotted something chopped up that looked a bit like a marrowbone so I asked the muslim butcher what it was. He whispered to me (as if I'd be horrified, being a little white girl ) that it was beef, a cow foot.

The conversation went like this
Me: Do you have a whole one?
Butcher: a whole one?
M: yep a whole one.
B: ok.....let me check for you. Oi, do we have a whole one?
Butcher2: a whole one?
M: yes! A whole one
B: how are you going to cook it?
M: I'm not, it's for my dog
B: oh! Lucky dog!
B2: how is he going to eat it?
M: like that, whole and raw
B2: right...... (looks at me like I'm a crazy woman)

It was very funny. Two nice guys though, very helpful. The butcher even told me all about his cat and said he hoped my dog enjoyed it apparently they have them regularly, a snip at only £2.50. It weighs over 2kg though so I might not let Cain eat it all in one go.

Has anyone fed this before? Is it very boney? The bone in the sliced version looked kinda hollow. How hard are the raw hooves? They look softer than shop bought (presumably cooked) hooves.

When I got the the checkout, the checkout assistant on the next till turned around and asked me what it was. I said it was a cow foot, she looked more closely then recognised it and went mad! She was like "oh, I LOVE that! Mmmmmm, cook it in the slow cooker, tomatoes, onions, salt and peppers, mmmmmm. I love it, you're making me hungry!" then she asked the girl on my checkout if she liked it, to which she replied "no, I'm a vegetarian!"

Really amusing trip. It's like the looks when I leave Morrisons whith a basket of pig trotters, pig kidneys and heart. I get such funny looks
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I tend to buy my meat from Morrisons as they have the best choice round here and the same woman is always on the self serve checkouts. She must think i've got a really weird diet because i'm always going through with loads of bones, trotters, reduced offal etc.

The hooves I buy which are filled with tripe are very hard, my dogs dont even bother chewing them and TBH, i'm not sure i'd want them to.

It looks a very strange cows foot to me...Something about the hoof looks different.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 08:15 PM
It looks similar to the photo here

http://rawfeddogs.net/Recipe/Cows-Foot/

It's probably because it's pinkish, because it's raw, that it looks different?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 08:26 PM
The hooves just seem too soft for a cow to be traipsing round fields on. I didnt think the ones I had were cooked.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 08:40 PM
No idea then? Maybe it's from a young cow? Seeing as it's from Asda, I'm fairly sure it is cow if they say it is. I'm sure he'll enjoy eating it either way
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-01-2012, 10:00 PM
cow feet arnt as hard as you would think to be honest
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 10:02 PM
In Tesco and Asda, they have halal meat counters. They do chicken carcasses. 4 for £1.00. Lambs tongues etc.. chicken necks too. very reasonable. I got 14 necks for £1.70.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Morrisons are also doing dog "bones" lamb and beef. All good for pennies.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2012, 11:59 AM
i got a funny look from the man that served me when i went to the till with a box of chicken wings, 8 tins of sardines, a tub of natural yoghurt, some kidneys, and a bottle of vodka he looked at me funny, and i just said "only the vodka is for me"
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Well I fed Cain his cow foot tonight and it went down VERY well I was only going to let him have part of it but I ended up letting him have the lot. I fed him a tiny 80g tin of sardines plus fruit and veg for breakfast in preparation for a big dinner. The whole foot weighed just under 2kg. However I weighed it when he was finished and 1kg of that was uneaten bone, so not too bad really, he didn't over eat too much. It kept him super busy. I gave it to him at 4.45 and didn't take it off him until 7.15, so 2 and 1/2 hours of munching. He's knackered now and snoozing it off