Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Morewuffthan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Help to stop pup barking too much please

My 4 month old BC girl is starting to bark at the usual noises which I'd expect but also at passing timber wagons during the day, and also at the tv in the evening. She can see tall vehicles passing a window and I think it is the tv pictures moving which mainly set her off.

She comes back from a walk about 1pm and I've been playing with her and training her to distract her and to occupy her brain but after she has crashed out at 4pm-ish noises like next door calling her cat, a dog barking or a tall vehicle passing wake her up so she gets up and barks or grumbles. I've praised her for being calm and quiet and thrown her bits of kibble where she has gone to lie down again. Also I praise when she doesn't react.

From 6pm she has a play, a second little walk another play and training and is given chews when we sit down to watch tv about 8pm but she leaves the chews to bark at the tv. I've gone up to the tv to show her it is not dangerous, she can't reach it.

She wouldn't shush last night so I removed her from the room and put her in her cage with a chew for 10 mins.

She is only crated overnight and we don't hear a sound from her normally. I was upstairs listening to see if she reacted to any noises from 7am - 8am this morning before we got up and she didn't that I could hear.

She's just woke up, come for a fuss and left me to go bark at the door at a dog barking, came back grumbled and laid down again. She heard the living room door creak got up to bark as the cat will have opened it.

It's getting very wearing so suggestions please.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 06:20 PM
How long do you walk her for ?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Can't help you I am afraid, I had one who howled at the TV and one who barks at owls/foxes etc on tv and now one who barks at dogs/horses/doorbells and phones on the TV or computer.

It is very wearing but I haven't founda good answer to it as yet.

rune
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 06:55 PM
My dog is similar in that she grumbles and barks at things through fear.
Fortunately she likes the TV so usually I shut the curtains and turn on some background noise!

Things that may help:
- Frosting on the windows to block out visual stimulus.
- Distraction. Try asking for other behaviors as she is barking.. ie ask for a lie, and treat. She will most likely find it difficult to do both at once.
- Using background noise to muffle outside sounds.

I find that if my dog gets in to a vocal mind set it can be difficult to distract her from it, as she becomes hype-vigilant barking at every little sound. It is hard to distract her as the unease takes over. However if your dog is not nervous it may not be quite the same.

Have you tried de-sensitizing her to the TV..
Perhaps put a blanket over it to block out the view (or turn down the brightness) and just start with it on a low level noise ... or the other way depending on whether she is more visual or auditory sensitive (ie noise off, brightness on).. and build it up gradually over a period of time so she doesn't react.

Hope you manage to find a solution
Morewuffthan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
How long do you walk her for ?
Two x half an hour, it's mostly on grass/soft ground in a field and woods. She's not quite 16 weeks.
Morewuffthan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Can't help you I am afraid, I had one who howled at the TV and one who barks at owls/foxes etc on tv and now one who barks at dogs/horses/doorbells and phones on the TV or computer.

It is very wearing but I haven't founda good answer to it as yet.

rune
Well thanks for your reply anyway. At least we aren't suffering on our own.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 07:21 PM
What happens if you walk out of the room into another the moment she starts barking?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Slightly too much walking IMHO, but not too bad.

My youngest Keewee is fascinated by the Mist Sheepdog Tales, she doesn't bark at the TV but actually watches the dogs & sheep.

If any of mine start barking at the TV I turn off the sound & change the channel & then praise when they stop.

It could be just that she is growing up & becoming more aware of her surroundings. You could do some clicker training whilst the TV is on & teach the watch & touch to get her attention on you
Red[dog]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2012, 07:25 PM
We stopped our dog from barking at things outside (he still barks at knocks at the door, but he used to bark at people walking past, car doors closing outside etc) by throwing treats at him when we heard a noise, before he started barking. Now when he hears a noise, instead of barking he turns and looks at us, and we reward and praise.

Not sure how helpful that is, because it sounds like sometimes you pup barks at nothing...

Red
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Turning the TV off isn't an option really, I'd have to know before the bark started. With the howling I sometimes put her in the car with a bone while I watched remembrance day or last night of the proms or a film I knew had music.

Treats aren't an option with 7 dogs in the room, it'd be chaotic.

rune
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >