Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tibter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Lunging at Cars

Zac is, usually, very good at walking to heel when on his lead. Recently, however, he has started lunging at cars or vans.He never lunges at a bus, lorry, motor bike or cyclists just cars and occasionally a van.

He used to do this when he was a puppy. As soon as he did it then I would stop, make him sit and give him a good telling off. It worked but now at over 5 years of age he has started again. It is always cars or vans coming from behind us. There is no warning he will just suddenly leap at the passing car. Giving him a good telling off now is not working.

We don't often walk alongside a road. I wonder if this might be part of the problem. Our favourite walk is a circular one through the forest but then we have a short section beside a busy road on the way back. Would it be better if we did more walking beside a road?

I would appreciate any advice.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 02:58 PM
I would do some more walking along the road, instead of telling him off, ge his attention and make him sit or stand quietly and then reward the behaviour you want. If he lunges then quickly turn around and walk the opposite way for a few steps until you have his attention and reward.
Tibter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you Collie Convert. I never thought of walking the other way I think that may well work but it may take some time.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Yep, curing a behaviour like this is never a quick fix, but with consistency you should see improvement hopefully
Tibter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Nearly six months later and there has been a big improvement. Zac is not perfect but it is now rare for him to leap at a car. I still have to take care.

I also know what sets him off. It is if there is a dog in the passing car.