Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:18 PM

So did your dog cope with Xmas?

Sadly Tilly didn't didn't do very well at all. The most difficult part was trying to get people to ignore her as I could tell she was anxious & panting/staring all the time. It was my dad who went to grab one of her toys & she bit his hand. Boy do I feel bad about that! I was being so careful to watch her like a hawk too. So then spent most of the time after that either on a house line, muzzled or tied up in the kitchen as the vibes from my parents became really fearful which makes Tilly worse.
It's so difficult that she doesn't like a house full even though we have the kids coming & going all the time.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:22 PM
We never have any visitors so no trouble from that point of view! For the dogs, pretty much like it was for me, Christmas was just another day, except for the dinner.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Sorry to hear Tilly didn't enjoy the Christmas experience. It is little wonder though really that some dogs get a bit stressed out by it all.

Thankfully there was just ourselves at home this year (as most years) and so my dogs don't have to cope with anything much out of the ordinary. The new boy coped brilliantly, considering he has never lived with noisy children, lived in a house or experienced Christmas before He is a pretty chilled out dude, so, for that, I am grateful.

I do remember horrible Christmases at my parents though in years gone by, when I have taken dogs over with me and they haven't enjoyed the extra attention, noise and upset of their routine.

Hope Tilly is happy all is back to normal now, and peace is restored.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Mine loved it

They stayed in the kitchen most of the morning whilst I cooked dinner and mopped up any spills / droppings !!!

Poppy snuck into the lounge (moved table from kitchen to lounge as kitchen not big enough for 14 people ) and hoovered up under the table!!

Then for tea they had all the left over veggies and I stripped what was left of the turkey off the bone and added it all in smothered in home made gravy from the beef juices

Mind you, sprouts do exactly the same to dogs as they do to humans - Pheweeeeee
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Poor Tilly finding the whole experiance stressful

Christmas day here is quite quiet with only us and one of my uncles who Ted adores coming for dinner so nothing out of the ordinary really. He loves his Christmas dinner and new toys and because the weather was dry he was happy outside most of the day the only thing that he gets upset by is the crackers but he still enjoyed his Christmas dinner.

He was very good Christmas eve when we had my uncle and aunties round for tea, most he only sees once or twice a year. As its my parents house i was able to take him out for a walk while everyone arrived and then he came in got a fuss off everyone and settled down with me. He did get a bit hot at one point so went outside for a while but came in and settled under the table stretched out on one of my uncles feet! He just love the attention and food people sneak him
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sorry to hear Tilly didn't enjoy the Christmas experience. It is little wonder though really that some dogs get a bit stressed out by it all.

Thankfully there was just ourselves at home this year (as most years) and so my dogs don't have to cope with anything much out of the ordinary. The new boy coped brilliantly, considering he has never lived with noisy children, lived in a house or experienced Christmas before He is a pretty chilled out dude, so, for that, I am grateful.

I do remember horrible Christmases at my parents though in years gone by, when I have taken dogs over with me and they haven't enjoyed the extra attention, noise and upset of their routine.

Hope Tilly is happy all is back to normal now, and peace is restored.
Thanks, I do feel really bad about it, especially as I was fully aware it could happen. They must think we have the most vicious dog in the world & will probably never come again. My dad was really apologetic & said he shouldn't have grabbed her toy like that but he forgot. The rest of us can grab her toy with no problem at all.
Anyway they have gone today & Tilly is relieved & relaxed again. I took her on a big long group walk where she loves being petted by humans, she is a completely different dog with people outside of the house, but I think I will have to work harder with visitors & not rely on them doing as I ask.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:43 PM
No problems here, no strange food, not presents so no issues there.

They are used to visitors etc. We had neighbours round for drinks and a few people call in dropping off presents.

One of them enjoyed 3 days (so far) of lots of training sessions the other, more frequent walks.

So I guess for them it was all positive.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by emma47 View Post
Poor Tilly finding the whole experiance stressful

Christmas day here is quite quiet with only us and one of my uncles who Ted adores coming for dinner so nothing out of the ordinary really. He loves his Christmas dinner and new toys and because the weather was dry he was happy outside most of the day the only thing that he gets upset by is the crackers but he still enjoyed his Christmas dinner.

He was very good Christmas eve when we had my uncle and aunties round for tea, most he only sees once or twice a year. As its my parents house i was able to take him out for a walk while everyone arrived and then he came in got a fuss off everyone and settled down with me. He did get a bit hot at one point so went outside for a while but came in and settled under the table stretched out on one of my uncles feet! He just love the attention and food people sneak him
ahh that's really sweet, lovely Ted
Tilly did lay between mine & hub's feet at the table for nearly 3 hours when we all played a board game which was very noisy, but she was on her lead & was fine, I think she felt secure that way.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Sorry to hear she didn't enjoy it and found it stressful

Axel did cope fairly well I'd say. He takes most things in his stride and is used to visiting the houses we visited. I think I found it more stressful but there we go. He just slept most of it! I did take him for some nice walks so he could stretch his legs
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 06:58 PM
There`s no change really in this house. Except for the Big Dead Bird which they all thoroughly approved of.
And they liked the toys and nom noms.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »