View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 12:47 PM

I seem to have hopped on the Stupid Train!

Ok, so Mouse is allergic to metal, I have no idea what kind of metal, as she seem to react to most with hair loss and hives. Seems to be a contact allergy.

A few months ago I started noticing Mouse pawing at her mouth now and then. I looked in her mouth, and noticed red spots all along the inside of her lips... off to the vet (scary thoughts in my head!) and it's nothing he's been able to diagnose (a couple hundred dollars in tests over the last few months, as it is recurring)

Today, I have no idea why, but it totally hit me... Every couple of days, my dogs share a can of food mixed with their kibble!!! She's getting hives in her mouth!!!

DUH!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, I am feeling horribly stupid right now! The vet even suggested said it has to be an allergy thing, am I feeding her out of stainless dishes? well, no, I'm not that dumb (not that I said that to him lol) but apparently, I am!!!

Honestly, how dumb can I be??? Poor Mouse has a stupid owner...

She's really going to miss her canned food
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Could you not get her food like Webbox - but better quality - one that isn't in a tin.. Pouches perhaps?

You're not a stupid owner - I wouldn't have thought the same either..
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Could you not get her food like Webbox - but better quality - one that isn't in a tin.. Pouches perhaps?

You're not a stupid owner - I wouldn't have thought the same either..
Nope, unless I want to feed Beneful... I think I might buy some freeze dried food that gets rehydrated to have when the others get their canned foods poor baby.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
At least she can still eat her kibble.. and you do have an alternative.. don't be too harsh on yourself..
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh, I'm being harsh alright! Poor girl has had an itchy mouth for months, and I wasn't able to figure out the simplest thing!!! Poor baby! It's a darn good thing it hasn't affected her internally!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't say you were stupid, sometimes things are so obvious we just don't see them, the common things we do are the hardest to see, it's automatic and we just don't think about it

At least now you've realised you can sort it
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 02:42 PM
completely agree with BB, it's something you just wouldn't even connect with. You know now and she'll stop having the problem. What about giving her some raw treats when the others are having their tinned food?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Do you have anything like Naturediet over there - the stuff that comes in plastic, vacuum packed trays as opposed to cans?

If not, how about boiling a little chicken up in the microwave with water using a plastic microwavable container rather than boiling up in a pan. It will give the meat and stock as an alternative to the wet food from the cans
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 04:27 PM
I would look for somefood in plastic trays or vacume packed in plastic bags
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys. The only food over here that comes in plastic trays is crap I wouldn't feed a starving dog. I do feed my dogs raw once a week, usually a chicken leg for the dental benefit. The canned food is only mixed in with their dry food every couple of days or so. She'll be fine, but she will miss it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >