Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Dogs' teeth

my dog milo 5years old has had 12 teeth removed all small teeth from the front of his mouth and 2 from the back, its only been 4 days since he had it done but I am worried about him, the vet seems to think he will be ok do dogs manage without their front teeth Iam so sad for him
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Yes dogs manage very well without teeth, they adapt, improvise and overcome!

It is better than keeping bad teeth in and risking health conditions from bacteria entering the bloodstream.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2011, 02:33 PM
He'll manage perfectly well without the front teeth. If any molar or carnassial teeth (back of mouth) were removed, perhaps soak dry kibble or feed a wet food to help out as he may have some problem chewing a dry food
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I once owned a dog that had all her small front teeth out after getting an abscess. She had a few back ones out too as I recall. Within days of coming home she was back chewing on her rawhide things with no problems and she found the lack of front ones very useful for carrying markie type biccies round - cigar fashion!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Our Yorkie has had all his front teeth removed!
You wouldn't know unless you looked in his mouth...he still eats all the same food!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Jimmi is minus most of his front teeth, plus a few others as well, and he copes extremely well.
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2011, 10:09 PM
thanks for your support could you give me a idea what Jimmi eats, Milo has been eating salmon & potato dry food as i look after my daughters dog twice a week while she works he is allergic to most foods it is easer to give my dogs the same, since Milo had his teeth out I give him Wainwright lamb & rice tinned
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by nellie d View Post
thanks for your support could you give me a idea what Jimmi eats, Milo has been eating salmon & potato dry food as i look after my daughters dog twice a week while she works he is allergic to most foods it is easer to give my dogs the same, since Milo had his teeth out I give him Wainwright lamb & rice tinned
Jimmi also has salmon and potato kibble! I do soak it, which makes it lovely and soft but I don't need to do that because of his teeth.........his treats consist of fish skins/squares/rounds etc. which are all very crunchy and he has no problems eating them at all.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Little One lost her four top front teeth and had another 10 removed [three of the bottom front four, the rest being molars/back teeth] but apart from soaking her kibble for the first couple of days following the extractions, which she was not keen on as she preferred it dry, she then carried on chombling quite happily.

She just had a slight problem with hard chewbones so she would wait until Pereg had had a good chew and softened them first!

I am sure Milo will manage just fine.