Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Possible Demodectic Mange...

Sheesh....

Max's ringworm test came back negative a few weeks ago. He only has one teeny bald spot now, which hasn't grown any bigger (or smaller).

I decided not to have any further investigations done for the time being.

I was sat giving Murphy cuddles today, and a 2 flakes of skin came off (about the size of a 5p together) with a load of hairs through them.

They have left a small bald spot - no scabs etc, same as Max.

He has nothing else on him like this.

Could this be the start of the dreaded mange?

Max is 5, but was diagnosed last year with MCT (middling grade, approx 5 yrs lifespan from diagnosis). Murphy is 4, and has a small lump that needs removing (like a mole) but otherwise hale and hearty.

Worth a vet visit for a skin scrape??
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Where on the dog are these bald patches?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 12:34 AM
When Rosie had hot spots her hair would come out like that with some skin, could there have been a small hot spit that burst and this is the remains of it.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
Where on the dog are these bald patches?
Max's is on his left shoulder, he can't reach to scratch or lick it.

Murphy's is on his right side, between his hip and the end of his rib cage.

Neither dog seems to be bothered. No suspect scratching, licking, or being interested when I examine it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't fret too much as neither Max nor Murphy seem bothered.......

x0x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Georgie has the demodectic mange due to his cushings in his old age, and although clumps of hair do come off with flaky fits on the end yes, when he's not on his ab's (which he has every 3rd week), the manage shows itself as brown rings, and can stink to high heaven, you'd certainly know.

This mange is NOT contageous according to my vet, otherwise Zena would have it. He told me in Georgie's case, it's all down to the cushings rendering his immune system pretty much useless, so it's unable to keep this mange at bay, whereas all normal dogs have it, but a good working immune system keeps it under control without causing any problems, just like Zena's does.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to get a bowl of Hibiscrub made up and give those bald spots a gentle wash and rinse and see how it goes, as it sounds nothing like the demodectic that Georgie has, which is seen every month by my vet who keeps telling me what we're dealing with her. Hth and good luck with them both.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Yep the vet advised daily washing here too, used a sponge & weak solution of Malaseb. Vet advised firm wash as opposed to gentle one
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:16 AM
It does not sound like Demodectic mange TBH. I thought I would attach a pic of the start of it on my dog.

Demodectic manage usually starts on the face, legs and chest. However, when my dog got it, it started on his back and then his face.

It sounds like it could be hotspots, however, you say your dogs are not itchy or anything, so not too sure what it could be.