Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Martingale collar V Half Check collar?

As Dexter still tends to lunge when either scared or excited, I'm looking for a collar that will offer a bit more control than a 'normal' flat collar.

Just wondered whether there was a big difference between a Martingale and Half Check collar....? If anyone can advise which might be best, that would be much appreciated

EDITED TO ADD:

Are the two collars exactly the same in terms of what they are meant to achieve?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I thought they were different names for the same concept?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I thought they were different names for the same concept?

I thought that too, but wasn't sure so wanted to check.

I'm guessing they both do the same thing pretty much, but just wondered if there are any significant differences at all.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 02:22 PM
No

Both can be made totally out of chain, leather, rubber, material etc or be made from a combination eg leather and chain, material and chain etc
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No

Both can be made totally out of chain, leather, rubber, material etc or be made from a combination eg leather and chain, material and chain etc

OK, great, thanks very much SB
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 02:40 PM
What kind of 'control' are you meaning here?
What about a harness and a normal collar
or a head coller and a normal collar
two points of contact give you more control to steer a lunging dog
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I use martingales with my hounds , they walk nicely on a loose lead so dont even feel they are wearing a collar with martingales but if thier chase instinct kicks in the collars tighten if they pull , they cant back out of them and I know I am in control, they wear wide collars , they have long necks so that works !

I wouldnt use half chack or chain on hounds because they have thin skin and want to make sure they are comfortable , my martingales are silk lined and dont hurt my hounds if they do pull when they see a squirrel for example , I have tried all sorts of collars whith them but these to meet the need best. Thay only wear collars for walks and harnesses when on a long line , and no collars in the house ,its taken me a while to find the right type to ensure they are comfortable and safe and I am in control in all situations. Maybe needs a bit of trialand error to get the right thing for your dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I`ve just switched to a half check from a Martingale with Prince. It gives you more control because you get the noise IMO.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I use martingales with my hounds , they walk nicely on a loose lead so dont even feel they are wearing a collar with martingales but if thier chase instinct kicks in the collars tighten if they pull , they cant back out of them and I know I am in control, they wear wide collars , they have long necks so that works !

I wouldnt use half chack or chain on hounds because they have thin skin and want to make sure they are comfortable , my martingales are silk lined and dont hurt my hounds if they do pull when they see a squirrel for example , I have tried all sorts of collars whith them but these to meet the need best. Thay only wear collars for walks and harnesses when on a long line , and no collars in the house ,its taken me a while to find the right type to ensure they are comfortable and safe and I am in control in all situations. Maybe needs a bit of trialand error to get the right thing for your dog.

Many thanks Tom - where do you get your collars if I may ask?

Claire&Daisy - that's a good point, though to be honest, the sound of the chain doesn't seem to have much effect upon Dexter once he's seen a cat/squirrel/horse/another dog
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 06:18 PM
I'd go with a martingale.

I've just purchased martingales for my lot, having had half chain checks in the past (which I stopped using a long time ago). I find the martingales appear to be more comfortable for the dogs.

I got mine from here:
http://www.thecraftyk9.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >