View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2011, 02:13 PM

It was meant to be a good walk but .........

The first field we came in to had a herd of cows in. Dogs under control we head across 2/3 across cows notice us and come charging at us, we just got ova the style and there is a big cow head staring at us. I really didnt think it could get worse but then further up another field with cows and calfs we didnt feel lucky so turn to go back home. On the way back dogs on leads minding are own business we are charged by two labs growling showing teeth and hair all standing up, of course in true dogsey style owner didnt bother to recall and when i mentioned a apologie may be nice was greeted with your dogs are on leads and its my land so ill do what i like (we were on a public footpath). Would love to be able to take the dogs out and enjoy my walk but running out of places that arnt full of cattles or morons rant ova lol
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Sorry you're walk was such a bad one hopefully tomorrow will be better. So many numpty owners these days.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Glad you didnt get trampled sounds scary. I dont know much about cows, are they usually so aggressive or is it just when they have calfs?
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2011, 02:36 PM
dont think they were being aggressive just curious but scary all the same. they didnt have calfs though which like you say is usually the reason they head towards people
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
dont think they were being aggressive just curious but scary all the same. they didnt have calfs though which like you say is usually the reason they head towards people
you mentioned that their were cows and calves in another field, even with a public footpath its still quite dangerous walking dogs near cattle they probably felt threatened by the preascence of yours from previous experiences maybe.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-11-2011, 03:00 PM
i work with cows and the worse thing you can do is try and avoid them, if they are showing intrest in you stand still or walk slowly so they can check you out, even cows with calves will only rarely hurt som1,

they would in their wild state but they are as domesticated and human friendly as dogs
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Sorry your walk wasn't a good one.

Ours go where there are bulls/bullocks, but ours are used to livestock and are off lead, they stay well clear too.
They have been where female cows are, I find the females are more curious about the dogs TBH, but they are never allowed when the cows when in calf, or when have calves xx

As for the labs, we've a few walks like that too
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I notice you're in Leics. Have you tried Burbage Common? The people over there seem really friendly (well they did last time I went a few years back)
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2011, 05:03 PM
havent been burbage common for a while and yes im just up the road in barwell,try to avoid popular walks though as my two are not always welcoming to off lead dogs. im very lucky both dogs walk to heal and ignore cows sheep,horses etc
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
i work with cows and the worse thing you can do is try and avoid them, if they are showing intrest in you stand still or walk slowly so they can check you out, even cows with calves will only rarely hurt som1,

they would in their wild state but they are as domesticated and human friendly as dogs
Ur crazy and they can smell my fear
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >