View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nadine201
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Anyone elses dog suffer from Reverse Sneezing ?

Monty has done it on & off since a pup really.
He has had about 6 episodes in the last 24 hours
I HATE to see him do it, should I take him to the Vet ?
Spoken to them before about it and they just said yeh, probably an allergy etc, if it becomes more of a problem bring him in.
It's probably just cos of the damp weather, but my poor baby
What do you do for yours ?
I just rub his throat, this does work, apparantly it's because of the swallowing action helps stop it.
Thanks
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2011, 05:11 PM
My late shih tzu cross Tia did it for years..
Would rub between her nose and eyes ..
My wife used to sprinkle olbas oil on her bed too..
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Beagles do it a lot as well !
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Little One used to do it fairly often when settling down for the night cuddled up to me. I did not have a clue as to what it was but used to just pat her on her back and tell her to breathe slowly - not that she understood me but it worked.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Kingsley my Yorkie does it, he's 15 now, and Charlie my Chi does it.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 06:53 PM
All of my dogs have done it to a greater or lesser degree - it's horrible whilst it lasts isn't it, but once over they don't seem to be the slightest bit concerned.

Jimmi did it last night - and I have trained myself not to worry too much.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
My bitch does it quite a bit but it normally only lasts for a few seconds so I let her get on with it.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Lily does it at some point most days. I just give her a quick fuss and tell her to be calm in a soothing voice and it goes. There is no health problem with hers.
However i did have 2 CKCS who done it excessively and when they were checked out under anesthetic lots of ulcers were found in their throat. They had auto immune disease and saddly after a year of battling with each of them I lost them one was aged 4 years and the other aged 7 years.
So I always say because of that if a dog does it too much or too violently then get it properly checked out and make sure there are no ulcers or irritations in the throat.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 10:26 PM
In Cavaliers this is usually caused by the dog having an enlongated soft palate

Reverse Sneezing (Pharyngeal Gag Reflex)

Authored by: Becky Lundgren, DVM

Reverse sneezing is a disconcerting event in which a dog makes unpleasant respiratory sounds that sound like it is dying -- or will die in the next few minutes. Reverse sneezing sounds similar to the honking noise made by a dog with a collapsing trachea, but reverse sneezing is a far simpler condition that usually does not need any treatment. It is called reverse sneezing because it sounds a bit like a dog inhaling sneezes. The sound the dog makes can be so scary that many owners have rushed in a panic to emergency clinics in the middle of the night.

The most common cause of reverse sneezing is an irritation of the soft palate and throat that results in a spasm. During the spasm, the dog’s neck will extend and the chest will expand as the dog tries harder to inhale. The problem is that the trachea has narrowed and it’s hard to get the normal amount of air into the lungs.

Anything that irritates the throat can cause this spasm and subsequent sneeze. Causes include excitement, eating or drinking, exercise intolerance, pulling on a leash, mites, pollen, foreign bodies caught in the throat, perfumes, viruses, household chemicals, allergies, and post-nasal drip. If an irritant in the house is the cause, taking the dog outside can help simply because the dog will no longer be inhaling the irritant. Brachycephalic dogs (those with flat faces, such as Pugs and Boxers) with elongated soft palates occasionally suck the elongated palate into the throat while inhaling, causing reverse sneezing. Small dogs are particularly prone to it, possibly because they have smaller throats.

Reverse sneezing itself rarely requires treatment. If the sneezing stops, the spasm is over. Oftentimes, you can massage the dog’s throat to stop the spasm; sometimes it’s effective to cover the nostrils, which makes the dog swallow, which clears out whatever the irritation is and stops the sneezing. If the episode doesn't end quickly, you can try depressing the dog’s tongue, which opens up the mouth and aids in moving air through the nasal passages. Treatment of the underlying cause, if known, is useful. If mites are in the laryngeal area, your veterinarian may use drugs such as ivermectin to get rid of the mites. If allergies are the root of the problem, your veterinarian may prescribe antihistamines. Because reverse sneezing is not a severe problem, do not worry about leaving your dog home alone; if it occurs when you're not there, the episode will most likely end on its own.

If reverse sneezing becomes a chronic problem rather than an occasional occurrence, your veterinarian may need to look up the nasal passages (rhinoscopy), and may even need to take a biopsy to determine the cause of the problem. Sometimes, however, no cause can be identified.

Some dogs have these episodes their entire lives; some dogs develop the condition only as they age. In most dogs, however, the spasm is a temporary problem that goes away on its own, leaving the dog with no after-effects.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Shibas tend to do it a lot. A gentle stroke on the throat usually helps......