Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 04:07 PM

New Glasses!

I've worn glasses since I was 4 and from middle school onwards they've impeded my confidence. It didn't help have an attractive twin without glasses and boys only liked her...

I didn't like my old glasses either because I don't think they flattered me or suited me, but I didn't have much range of choice because of how strong my prescription is. I also have my 1st ever prescription sunglasses! I'm hoping that these new glasses will help my confidence increase and hopefully I won't feel the need to take off my glasses for photos....what do you think?

And just for nostalgia's sake, here are a couple from when I was a child!

hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Your old one's....OMG!!!! What were you thinking of???

Your new ones look fab!!
They suit the shape of your face better than the round ones.

The sunnies look good to.

I work in an Opticians so I do see a lot of disasters especially when people rush choosing frames.

Edited to say ...they make you look younger too!!!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I love your new spectacles - you look absolutely great in them!

[Is this where I hide before admitting that I have 7 pairs of specs? ]

OK, so two pairs of bifocals [half and half lenses] with a mid-grey graduated tint from the top down to bifocal level, two pairs of untinted mid-distance specs [one pair for the computer and one pair in the kitchen so that I can see what I am doing when I do food prep], one pair of untinted reading only, and one pair of distance only prescription sunglasses which are graduated from dark at the top reducing to clear at the bottom.

I have worn spectacles since I was about 7 [62 years ago now, when you never saw a child wearing spectacles], my son from about 5, and my daughter when she was about 6. I think.

To be honest I feel naked without my specs!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Ah Mel your new ones look fab....similiar to mine! I cheated & got transitions lenses though, but they obviously don't work when driving, so then got prescription sunglasses...but can't wear either when its sunny & got my contact lenses in so had to buy a pair of normal sunnies too

Your new specs make such a difference, I worked in an opticians too, the old ones don't suit you much. Heres hoping your confidence with your glasses goes sky high now hunni xx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 07:12 PM
They really suit you, much nicer shape. My eyes are bad and my prescription is strong so I know what you mean about being self concious. I wear contacts now but sometimes have to wear my glasses to give my eyes a rest. And as for prescription sunglasses, they are a godsend!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Love the new ones, suit you so much better!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
Your old one's....OMG!!!! What were you thinking of???

Your new ones look fab!!
They suit the shape of your face better than the round ones.

The sunnies look good to.

I work in an Opticians so I do see a lot of disasters especially when people rush choosing frames.

Edited to say ...they make you look younger too!!!!
Ha ha, nothing like letting me down gently! I totally agree with you, sadly though they were the best of the selection I was allowed because of my strong prescription. Thankfully I had a new salesperson this time and she refused to let me have anything similar! Thanks for saying I look younger, I was starting to feel like I looked too much like my Nan!

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I love your new spectacles - you look absolutely great in them!

[Is this where I hide before admitting that I have 7 pairs of specs? ]

OK, so two pairs of bifocals [half and half lenses] with a mid-grey graduated tint from the top down to bifocal level, two pairs of untinted mid-distance specs [one pair for the computer and one pair in the kitchen so that I can see what I am doing when I do food prep], one pair of untinted reading only, and one pair of distance only prescription sunglasses which are graduated from dark at the top reducing to clear at the bottom.

I have worn spectacles since I was about 7 [62 years ago now, when you never saw a child wearing spectacles], my son from about 5, and my daughter when she was about 6. I think.

To be honest I feel naked without my specs!
7 pairs!!! My word you like the variety?! Does your prescription change much? I have to have new glasses almost every time I get tested!

Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Ah Mel your new ones look fab....similiar to mine! I cheated & got transitions lenses though, but they obviously don't work when driving, so then got prescription sunglasses...but can't wear either when its sunny & got my contact lenses in so had to buy a pair of normal sunnies too

Your new specs make such a difference, I worked in an opticians too, the old ones don't suit you much. Heres hoping your confidence with your glasses goes sky high now hunni xx
Thanks, glad you like them! My hubbie has transitions, but yeah, can't use them for driving, that's why I got the plain sunglasses so when I can drive I can drive in the sun. You're getting quite the collection too! Do you use hard or soft lenses? I had hard until I couldn't wear them any more at work

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
They really suit you, much nicer shape. My eyes are bad and my prescription is strong so I know what you mean about being self concious. I wear contacts now but sometimes have to wear my glasses to give my eyes a rest. And as for prescription sunglasses, they are a godsend!!
Are you strong short or long sighted? It's not nice either way when it's strong as it's so exaggerated, so I feel for you. Do you have hard or soft contacts? I am looking forward to using my sunglasses, when I wanted to have protection before I had to put sunglasses over my normal ones - so excited to have prescription!

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Love the new ones, suit you so much better!
Thank you very much
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2011, 08:54 PM
I could never have contacts but to be honest I do not think I would like them. My prescription used to change either yearly or every two years, but my sight seems to have settled now I am old.

My main problem is that I am long-sighted in my dominant eye, although more so for reading than distance, with astigmatism at one angle, and short-sighted in my weak eye with bad astigmatism at a different angle, so two eye totally different. My weak eye also does not change focus very well, which is why varifocals would be useless.

I have separate reading specs for just reading as I am not comfortable reading with my bifocals - they are mainly for every day things and for when I am out, but I cannot see the monitor properly with them hence needing the mid-distance specs - same with food prep. And at least if one pair of bifocals or computer specs gets broken, at least I have another pair.

It is a right booger having to change specs but I guess I am used to it after all these years!

My daughter is short-sighted, just as her father was, whereas my son has very similar eyesight to mine [not so complicated though, luckily for him!] although I believe he changed to contacts and then had his sight corrected by laser some years ago.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I could never have contacts but to be honest I do not think I would like them. My prescription used to change either yearly or every two years, but my sight seems to have settled now I am old.

My main problem is that I am long-sighted in my dominant eye, although more so for reading than distance, with astigmatism at one angle, and short-sighted in my weak eye with bad astigmatism at a different angle, so two eye totally different. My weak eye also does not change focus very well, which is why varifocals would be useless.

I have separate reading specs for just reading as I am not comfortable reading with my bifocals - they are mainly for every day things and for when I am out, but I cannot see the monitor properly with them hence needing the mid-distance specs - same with food prep. And at least if one pair of bifocals or computer specs gets broken, at least I have another pair.

It is a right booger having to change specs but I guess I am used to it after all these years!

My daughter is short-sighted, just as her father was, whereas my son has very similar eyesight to mine [not so complicated though, luckily for him!] although I believe he changed to contacts and then had his sight corrected by laser some years ago.
Blimey! No wonder you need so many glasses! I thought I had complicated eyes! (no offence meant ) I'm glad your eyes have settled down now, must've been expensive!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I definitely like the new ones best.

It really worries me because it seems a minefield. I can't even judge which sunglasses suit me best, let alone something like proper glasses. How on earth do you go about selecting the ones that look best on you? Luckily you had a good assistant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >