Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Are dogs more lively in colder weather?

As the question says?

Who's dogs seem to have more energy as the weather turns colder?

In the last few weeks kestral seems to have more energy and wondered whether it could be down to the nice chilly weather?.. (or could be her age or her increased exercise).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Doesn't seem to make a difference with mine.

I have to watch Bo in the summer months because if it is hot, she would still run until she collapsed. Weather is irrelevant for her.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Jimmi tends to head for the nearest radiator in the cold weather! When he IS awake, yes, he is probably a bit more lively than on hot days.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 07:57 PM
It all depends on the breed of dog. Breeds with "pushed in" muzzles (can't think of the correct term) like my Shar-Pei don't cope with heat very well and too much exercise causes her to overheat and pant her heart out and I have to cool her down with damp towels.

In summer when the temp here gets up to +30C I only take her out early morning or in the evening when it's cooler. In winter when the temps -10C she comes alive and get very energetic.

By contrast my Tibetan Spaniel is full of energy when its hot but feels the cold badly and she's already wearing a warm coat. In winter I can't walk her far because she'll start to shiver and when I get her home I have to warm her up with a "hotty bottle".

A real "no win" situation!
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I must admit i didn't realise how much the hotter weather had affected him until it has started to get cooler. I was putting him slowing down to his age but since the weather has cooled he seems to have a lot more energy and is definitely more lively and running about more on his walks.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Doesn't seem to make a difference with mine.

I have to watch Bo in the summer months because if it is hot, she would still run until she collapsed. Weather is irrelevant for her.
Same with Louie and Sadie
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:18 PM
My lot are really lethargic in warmer weather, Flynn in particular suffers in summer. Long walks take a back seat in favour of shorter ones near water because my lot get so knackered.

I've been looking forward to the colder weather just because my dogs come alive again and 4 hour walks are no longer a chore to them and they can tank around and burn off calories again.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I think a lot of dogs do have more energy when the weather turns colder. I have noticed that the dogs I have had (retrievers) seem much more lively in cooler weather and they have all loved the snow. I have also noticed that when the heating comes on in the house they tend to go out into the conservatory and lie on the tiles to keep cool.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes! Even our older dogs get the zoomies in the cold weather. Nothing like a sprint to warm up.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Mine love the colder weather. I don't know if it makes them livelier (as they are a pretty lively bunch anyway) but they certainly seem to relish it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >