View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Found a ten day to two week old abandoned kitten! HELP!

Just read the sticky. I'm an idiot!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 10:03 PM
You aren't an idiot...am sure if its an emergency then no-one is gonna move your post!

Hope all turns out ok xx
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
So I found a young kitten on my walk today. She/he was severely dehydrated and malnourished. I took her to the vet once I realized there was no mother to be found and she possibly had a missing eye (she didn't, it was just crusted over thank god!) Surprisingly the kitten is pretty strong for her sorry state and the vet declared she had nothing else wrong with her except for severe worms. After taking the pills I brought her home and declared that her name shall be Carbon (she's all black.)

Now my mom is very anti-animals (she doesn't know about the kitten in my bedroom, ahem) so I can't keep her for long. I just need help to ensure she survives the next few days until I can partially release her into the wild (aka my front yard. Lots of cats there for her to learn feline behavior. I'll keep feeding her if she keeps coming by however.)

you cannot release her in a few days even if she is stronger, she is far too young to fend for herself, if you cannot keep her id suggest getting in touch with the CPL or another cat rescue

So...I need some advice. I am in waaay over my head. I got some KRM (kitten replacement milk) and she sipped a bit of it. Igave her some water and she seemed uninterested. I offered some semi-solid kitten food for newborns and she /chowed down/ for a good few minutes before losing interest in that as well. Does she still need to be bottle fed? Is that why she is losing interest? Or am I horribly misjudging how much she needs to eat? (I plan on feeding her every four hours.)

again she should still be on milk, feeding her every 4 hours is a good plan, weaning onto solids should start at around 4-5 weeks

Does anyone have any advice or info they can give me? Currently she is loosely wrapped in one of my old nightshirts with a Siamese beany baby partially on top of her to give her the feel of being in a kitten pile. I've also placed a ticking clock a foot away to simulate heartbeat. I've kept some water in a bowl inside her carrier but kept the carrier door open. I keep checking on her to make sure she's still breathing...

This is good but id also place a hot water bottle underneath her, wrapped in a towel so as not to scold her to keep her warm

(Gosh, if I'm this worried over a kitten how am I going to be if I ever have a kid?!)

well done you for rescuing the ickle one

as i said above if you cannot keep her then get intouch with a cat rescue in your area, everything you are doing so far is good, just a few tweeks needed

i hope all goes well for you xxxx
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Thank you so much for the reply! I should change my location, I am no longer in England unfortunately but Kuwait. We do have Paws and K's Path here (humane shelters) but neither of them would take stray cats or kittens since they are a bit of a nuisance (they outnumber pigeons. We don't have mice/rat problems, we have cat problems.) While I knew that due to overpopulation I should have left her, but I /just/ went to the Paws orientation yesterday to volunteer and I'd feel like a complete hypocrite when she clung so tightly to my foot while mewling in desperation...I just couldn't help myself.

I'll be leaving in ten days for a week vacation, that's why I am worried as well. I'll try to contact Paws in the morning and hope they'll make an exception for her but until then I'm at a bit of a loss. I was hoping since she is feral she might adapt faster (which makes no sense, I know, a kitten would need its mother to adapt that fast...)

I have a furry hot water bottle (for those wonderful days when they are a necessity) which I can use, but that'll have to wait until morning. Here's hoping she survives the night!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Just spotted this thread... read the first bit and decided to offer to take in the kitten and look after her, however, I got down to your last post and see you are not in the UK.

I hope she survived the night and that you are able to find someone to take care of her on a more longterm basis. Best of luck to you both.