Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Bengal cats and other felines?

Just musing at the minute..but ever since loosing my eldest moggy girl, I've been wondering about another cat. There's a few breeds which take my eye and one of them is the bengal, I've heard mixed reviews over their temperaments in regards specifically to other cats, just wanted some information in regards too this if anyone had any Have heard they can be quite difficult to keep with other cats, only like their own kind etc, don't know how much of this is true though!
I have 1 and a half cats left with me, brothers..one of which comes and goes but spends half his time "going" and the other spends most of his time inside with the dogs, and it is said "Maxwell" which is the cause of me asking..as he is a real tiger, very bolshy and rough..lovely with it, who would definitely finish something if another cat started it.
Not set in stone yet, and looking at a few different ideas but bengals always took my fancy..just finding a good breeder to give you reliable and honest information about the breed seems to be difficult!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't have one, but I know of a breeder, I have heard that they are very clever cats, and have heard of someone being at a show where they all had to find out the results of the show as a Bengal had opened his own crate and was happily mooching about the hall, and someone round here has two who torment the next doors Chihauhau's, apparently it once got to the point where one cat picked up a dog after it was barking at him. oops.
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2011, 02:10 PM
We have 50 cats sharing our home and our dogs lives, we have 3 Border Collies - 2 adults and a 6mo pup

We have mainly ferals but do have some normal domestics and my 2 rescue ragdolls, my resident foster NFC who is shaved as his previous owners were so caring not and finally our latest addition is a 6mo Bengal who was a PTS sleep case as she is a Physco to say the least but she adores Caspurr ragdoll and is learning about being a cat but she likes me, tolerates my husband

Bengals are by nature very clever, chatty and demanding, she has proved to be a challange but as she has Casper at least she is quieter now he on the otherhand gets no peace
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I have had various pedigree catsSiamese, Colourpoints,Burmese(which I used to show) and now a Ragdoll who is a complete and utter fruitloop I dont know an awful lot about Bengals but I know they are not for the fainthearted.If I had to choose another pedigree cat as a pet it would be Burmese
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I know somebody who has two Bengals and they seem to be real characters

If I was having another pedigree it would be a Siamese my last girl lived to 16 and used to retrieve anything thing you threw for her also had a rubber band fetish and would steal them at any opportunity. She got on great with my Boxer and Beardie they all shared the same dog bed

Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Pedigree catswise siamese have always been my first love, everything about them is my idea of perfect..however they have changed so so much into the ultra modern type that their looks and behaviour is alien compared to what I know and love. And with classics and old type very difficult to comeby I've always resigned too the fact having a siam would be by pure chance. In regards to bengals general purrsonality I like the sound of them, my only query is what I've heard about their behaviours and other cats..
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't own a bengal, but I looked after one for someone who was in hospital once. I had to have him at my place for a couple of weeks and I didn't dare let him out of the house in case something happened to him or he tried to find his way home.

Although a beautiful cat and very friendly, he totally put me off the breed. He was a nightmare with my own cats and I couldn't leave him alone with my old female (now sadly deceased) because he would attack her viciously, he really wanted to hurt her. He was very attention seeking and very vocal, he yowled constantly and he was LOUD. My next door neighbours came round and told me he was keeping them awake at nights (and I can believe it, because I had the same problem).

All in all, he was the worst feline experience I've ever had in a lifetime of living with cats and I was very glad when I was able to return him to his owner.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Back to the drawing board, the more I read the more they don't seem to do well with other cats! Need to look into more sedate breeds me thinks!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:38 PM
What about good old Raggies??
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Have considered Ragdolls amongst others, coat just puts me off a tiny bit. Am quite drawn to BSH, but really like burmese too. Can never end up making a decision about pedigree cats and always end up opting for moggies instead! Am determined this time to go for a more chilled out pedigree thats happier not too roam.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >