Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Wireless keyboard and mouse

When my computer guru took my computer to get a new motherboard for it, I asked him to please get me another keyboard as I tend to go through them at a rapid rate of knotts.

As he knows I only have a very small table and am forever having to untangle cables, he brought me a wireless keyboard and mouse set, which is great as apart from all the cables cluttering up the table it means I can move the keyboard so that I can actually eat at the table now!

My main problem is that the mouse is small and tends to shoot across the table, and it taking some getting used to, but on the whole I think these wireless things are better than sliced bread!

I wonder why all things like this cannot now be wireless.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 06:55 PM
We have them at work and they are great, no annoying wires. Only tip I have is to keep plenty of spare batteries. The ones in one mouse we have don't seem to last five minutes!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
We have them at work and they are great, no annoying wires. Only tip I have is to keep plenty of spare batteries. The ones in one mouse we have don't seem to last five minutes!
I have spare batteries - the mouse takes an AA and the keyboard takes 2 x AAA - and I have two wired mouses and x number of wired keyboards in case I run out, as I only chuck them when they are totally kernakkerredidid. [ I once killed a nine-day old keyboard by drowning it when a 1.5l bottle of diet cola exploded over it.]

Ahem. To say nothing of ripping the front and side off my first monster computer only a few months after he built it for me...

TBH I was so impressed with the wireless keyboard/mouse that I have asked Effie to get me another set to keep as spares.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 07:18 PM
They are brilliant I have had wireless keyboard and mouse for about 4 years now.

My daughter has a vertical mouse because she gets RSI. She swears by that.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 07:22 PM
For anyone interested;

http://www.evoluent.com/vm3.html
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
For anyone interested;

http://www.evoluent.com/vm3.html
That looks really good. I am lucky in that because my chair is so narrow I rest my elbows on the half arms [they are full arms but sloped so that my chair can get close to the table] and my wrists just rest on the edge of the table, which I have padded with some foam strips. So moving my right hand from keyboard to mouse is just a quick sideways swivel from my elbow and does not require me to twist my forearm at all as it is in the same horizontal line as when I am typing.

If you know what I mean.

But from what I can remember of office desks, this table [actually a small ancient kitchen table on a central pedestal leg] is higher than a regular desk.

With the keyboard moveable so that I can use the table to eat from, and no wires all over the place, it has given me so much more space on the table now.

It is this one http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirel...pr_product_top

except the keyboard is, of necessity, a dual language one.

Cheap and cheerful and does what it says on the lid!

Little things please little minds...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 08:00 PM
It's more about the position you hold your arm than the actual movement.
Using a conventional mouse twists the bones in the forearm where as a vertical mouse keeps the bones in their natural position.
The diagram in that link explains it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-10-2011, 08:23 PM
It's more about the position you hold your arm than the actual movement.
Using a conventional mouse twists the bones in the forearm where as a vertical mouse keeps the bones in their natural position.
The diagram in that link explains it.
I saw that and it is very interesting and logical, and am glad that such a mouse helps your daughter. I well remember when I was working having an L-shaped desk with a word processor [no computer - even a wp was a luxury!] on one part and my typewriter on another part, the wp keyboard being on a higher level... and an office chair which was the most uncomfortable thing ever...

But we had to put up with it.

Now, in my own home I can, and have, organised things to my comfort and ease of use, and mostly it works! So I am happy!

Oh, and I can put my coffee on the table without the wires of the keyboard or mouse knocking it over!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Hehehe, it is the coffee that is important, hope you enjoy it
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Hehehe, it is the coffee that is important, hope you enjoy it
At this time of night?!

This table has a long history. It is 60cm x 80cm at the deepest/widest points but sort of shaped. Sorry, cannot explain. It has a heavy top, a heavy metal central pedestal, and a heavy round base, the top being screwed onto a square plate on top of the central pedestal, which screws into the base.

It was originally the kitchen table of a friend of mine in England waaay back maybe over 40 years ago, and when she moved she gave it to me. I then moved from where I was living at the time so it came with me. And because the top could be unscrewed from the pedestal and the pedestal unscrewed from the base, and because the shipping charges from England to here were by volume and not by weight, it came with me 26 years ago!

Oh this table. How many moves has it made? Five that I know of in England, and once shipped here another six I think. Not really sure!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >