Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Client videoing training sessions

A trainer I know is allowing a client to film their training sessions. The dog has a number of training issues along with some behavioural problems also.

I can see the benefits from the clients perspective, ie; being able to refer back to it , or to show to other family members involved with the dogs training who could not be present at the session etc, However I wonder from the trainers perspective whether allowing yourself to be filmed is such a good idea? You have no control over the footage or how it may be used/shared?

I am interested to know what other trainers/behaviourists views/policies are on this matter
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm not a trainer but have a friend who is so will ask her for her views.

At first I thought why not but on second thoughts maybe not
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Well - IMO it`s OK as long as it`s personal use only. I would make sure she signs something to stop it being uploaded to the net or used for commercial purposes.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 03:56 PM
At most seminars I attend there are strict rules about filming which are governed by the trainer primarily. If it is permitted then if filming of a third party is requested, permission has to be sought from them.

TBH if someone wished to film without anyone's consent it is difficult to identify or prevent it often.
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I have been asking people about this, seems trainers don't really consider it until things go wrong.

I read a story where a trainer had allowed a client to video a series of one to one puppy training sessions. The family then shared this with their extended family and also a number of friends.. all of which could have been potential new clients for the trainer...Why pay if you can just borrow a video?

Another trainer complained that the videoing was very distracting, both for them and the client.

Videos of trainers could also end up on web sites like Youtube etc, I would imagine this could be worrying both from a personal and professional perspective?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Asked my friend she has no objections but asks that they sign a document to say it will not be used for public viewing. She feels it helps people if they can look back at what was said in lesson
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I agree it would be sensible to have a document for clients to agree your policy if you were going to allow recordings to be taken, but is it not easier however to just say no?..... Give handouts and encourage clients to take notes instead? ....In reality a trainer could never be sure of how footage was used/shared once it exsists.