View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Alfie and Lily's holiday photos (Pic heavy)

Back yesterday from a week in paradise. The weather was exceptional and we only had rain overnight (which was an experience in a van I can tell you!)

I don't think I had one moment of stress while we were there. The dogs just adored it. They were with me constantly and we are all fitter for the amount of walking we did.

Lynne and Helen thank you so much. Since January and my Dad's diagnosis followed by Sarah's, feelings of anxiety, panic, fear, disbelief, anger and now intense grief have been mine and my families world.

All of us have and still struggle to cope with our own feelings and those of each others. We are all dealing with our grief differently and that is not an easy thing for any family to do. Treading on eggshells is how my parents and I are around each other. Not wanting to upset the other but seeing only too clearly the impact of losing a daughter and a sister whenever we look at each other.

Being away hasn't changed that but it has given me the chance to think of Sarah, to cry but not to have to justify it or worry about how it is affecting anyone else. Sounds selfish and maybe it is, but that's what you have to do. You can't wallow in your grief, it's not allowed. You can't talk constantly about what happened because you need to move on and it's not 'healthy'. But this week I have been able to think about her, about what happened, what she went through and what the hell she must have felt. Her worries and fears that she hid so bravely to save the feelings of her family. I just feel like I've gained strength by having this break.

I packed all I thought I'd need and more. Most of it I didn't unpack. Helen has truly thought of everything you could need while away. The van is home from home. With little touches here and there to make it cosy and comfortable to such practical (and invaluable) things such as ID tags for the dogs with the parks phone number and the local vets too. Leads, bowls, dog food and treats plus beautifully soft throws for the dogs to lie on (or in Lily's case in) plus a paddling pool which was much needed on the hotter days.

The van is immaculate and has the most comfortable bed I think I've ever slept in! It was such a peaceful setting and one night I heard an owl hooting which was a treat.

Anyway, here are just some of the dozens of photos I took of my babies enjoying their time away.

Lily contemplating her new surroundings

In the woods

Hmm, what's that on Lily's nose?

A white feather

Tilly came to visit!

And guess what she found...

Tilly!!!!

Gracie looked on in disgust

Lily climbed a tree!

Alfie, well Alfie just kept running!

Bexhill on Sea. Our favourite beach

Lily doing a very good impression of her twin Zena

Alfie standing still, for once!

Just some of the beautiful houses and look at that sky!

Alfie just had to get in...

Lily didn't want to let him out!

Look Mum, I'm swimming!

And me too!

This was the scene every night

And when the fire had to go on...

And finally, someone came to visit. Check out the dogs water bowl by the table

jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Gorgeous pics
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Great pics and so glad you feel it has helped you. Was such a lovely gift from Helen and Lynne and you made the very best of it. Its such a beautiful, tranquil place too. My girls had a great time in just an afternoon!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 09:07 AM
What a lovely set of pics. Helen's van sounds brill (Well done H!). I am so pleased the break gave you a bit of breathing space and time to reflect on all that has happened - and just have a bit of time to think about Sarah {{hugs}}. I am really pleased the weather stayed so good for you and the dogs look to have had a lovely time
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Aw brilliant Claire what a fabulous place and so glad it has helped you. You are right it can't change what a dreadful year you have had but hopefully it helped you by as you say allowing you to think and deal with things your own way without having to worry about upsetting anyone and without feeling the need to explain. I was just saying to H that in your messages and posts your "tune" seemed more upbeat and more relaxed like some of the weight was, if not lifting at least shifting
These photos are fabulous thanks for sharing them it really does look like you all had a fabulous time
And as for the white feather and that dear little Robin well....I am sure that was someone very special telling you a very special message
So glad you enjoyed it Claire can't wait for next weeks pictures too xxxxxxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Well, what can I say............ FABULOUS!!! JUST FABULOUS!!! I'm so glad you're going back tomorrow for another week, it will be the making of you Claire, another week in paradise hey? I too noticed a dramatic change in you from last Saturday when I left you stranded in those woods, and although nothing can take the hurt away and never will, sometimes, a little bit of peace and solitude helps you to rearrange your head a bit, just enough to let you face the world again, coz no matter what life throws at us, somehow we have to try and get through it (you'll never get over it), and come out the other side, and that's what I'm hoping will happen after another week in nature's paradise, with nobody to bother or disturb you, except for those little furbabies, but then even they seem to be content enough now to leave you in peace in the evenings (as long as that fire's on I suppose lol at Alfie there!!!! ).

Can't wait for next week's episode and more pics please, lots, lots more!!!

Thanks for your lovely, kind comments about our humble little van, but as you can see from my rave reviews in my little black book, you really can't appreciate the place unless you've been there a week for yourself can you, it really is a little bit of heaven on earth, it should be a secret it's so magical, especially in those ancient woods (scarey on yer own isn't it!!!! ). Enjoy and heal as much as you can.xxxxxx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Wow sounds idyllic, I do think furry friends and fresh air are a very good therapy.

What lovely people H & L are but you so deserve it after such an awful time Claire xxxx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Sounds and looks absolutely fantastic, Claire, it really does. So pleased you and your furkids had a lovely, peaceful time and feel you have got a lot from the break. Must've been very theraputic for you.

Brilliant pictures too, nice to see all the dogs having a great time!

A really kind gesture from Lynne and Helen, what wonderful people they are.

Look forward to meeting you next month!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Aww Bless Lovely pictures Thanks for sharing x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Oh, that sounds like it was a fabulous holiday, and it must have been so great to get away and have peaceful time alone! I'm glad you enjoyed it It looks gorgeous there, and the dogs look like they enjoyed it too
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >