Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 08:27 PM

The problem with raw feeding..

Ahh - just seen my first disadvantage to feeding outside. I've had a fox come right near the house (and rabbits) sniffing around where Louie eats his dinner. Such a beautiful creature but I ain't cleaning up it's mess nor letting it get too comfortable near the house.

Then 10 minutes later the neighbours ginger cat came onto the garden - he just went through the gate though and he's no threat.

First time I have seen a wild fox close up and it was right outside my dining room window. If I didn't have the rabbits I wouldn't be so bothered but he can't get comfortable.

Any tips? What deters foxes?
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Usually .... dogs! Or shotguns
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes no cats, foxes, birds enter my garden.................
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
My pug pup was playing on the patio the other day and a fox suddenly jumped out of the bushes, Diesel and Frank gave chase and the fox made a swift exit but not before Diesel left a Diesel shaped hole in the trellis.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
Usually .... dogs! Or shotguns
I have an airsofting rifle.. it'll not kill it but it'll give it a sharp pain in the bum (or wherever I hit it)

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes no cats, foxes, birds enter my garden.................
I might keep Benjie for a bit then, he's insured, Louie's insurance doesn't come through till end of the month.

Oh I can't believe I'm saying all this, I'm against fox hunting.. do think they need a every few years cull though, just to keep numbers down..
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:23 PM
My daughter said put a couple of chickens outside your fence

Sorry, I would love chickens on my patch, but would be worried about the foxes. I think they are cheeky beggers. Don't think there is much to deter a fox
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
My daughter said put a couple of chickens outside your fence

Sorry, I would love chickens on my patch, but would be worried about the foxes. I think they are cheeky beggers. Don't think there is much to deter a fox
Next door has chickens.. He hasn't been back since though and normally they're persistent aren't they. I have two of my hutches over our cesspit so I think the smell (not that we can smell it) of human waste is deterring them from them two, I mean, my pup used to be able to get in easy to them so a fox could. But we've just moved one and he's got a run underneath his hutch and I need to put some wire on the ground but haven't got round to it yet.. must do it this weekend! They're going to get desperate with the winter too aren't they...
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey - I've got chickens!!!!!!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Feed the fox - leave big pile grub out & he'll be too full to bother with anything else -
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:43 PM
And then of course the fox will bring his wife, defecate in your garden (which not only smells vile but will be full of parasites), raid your bins, potentially put your animals at risk of mange, and serenade you at night with their screams.

And any leftovers can be hoovered up by the rats that will be encouraged by all this food, leading to larger rat litters and thereby putting your dogs at risk of lepto.

Fab idea!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >