Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Personal Protection dogs

I know we have already discussed the rights/wrongs of owning PP dogs but what I would like to know now is whether the reputable companies do regular refresher training for dogs and handlers?

I know that a new owner gets a few days training in how to handle their new dog, but would also like to know how the company go about discerning whether a particular prospective new client is a suitable dog owner/handler - especially of what are usually large and powerful breeds, or whether it is just a case of money talks

Also, is any extra refresher training in the original price or do you pay for top ups?

If anyone has experience of pp dogs I would love to know.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
do you mean the people selling the dogs or security companys and their staff??
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I would hope that refresher courses are part of the contract - because PP dogs, perhaps more than most, need to make sure their training is top notch - there can be little room for mistakes imo.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
we meet a supposedly PP cane corso ( the owner loves to tell us this) can they never be let off the lead? have to admit i never heard such a thing existed till i met this guy.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
do you mean the people selling the dogs or security companys and their staff??
Not sure what you mean? Perhaps if you rephrased your question?

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I would hope that refresher courses are part of the contract - because PP dogs, perhaps more than most, need to make sure their training is top notch - there can be little room for mistakes imo.
I would hope so too Azz - think I may send A1K9 an email and find out all the answers.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
we meet a supposedly PP cane corso ( the owner loves to tell us this) can they never be let off the lead? have to admit i never heard such a thing existed till i met this guy.
The fact it cannot be let off the lead would definitely indicate that this dog is definitely NOT a pp dog ... or certainly not one from a reputable company
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
The fact it cannot be let off the lead would definitely indicate that this dog is definitely NOT a pp dog ... or certainly not one from a reputable company
i guessed as much typical tough nut owns it has threaten a few of us with his pp dog
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=rough;2362303]i guessed as much typical tough nut owns it has threaten a few of us with his pp dog[/QUOTE]

Hmmm yes, another indication I would say that this person is talking bull
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I guess if I'm ever out with Rue and run into something dodgy, I could tell them she is an ex-PP dog. Well, we don't know for sure - she could easily be ex-services in one form or another!

Or....

I know what you're thinking. "Did she bark six times or only five?"
Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a 4 point 4 year old Malinois, the most powerful hard dog in the world, and would chew your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-10-2011, 07:55 PM
My idea of perfect pp dogs are Zeus and apollo the dobes from the tv show Magnum..lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >