Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Culling of unstandard rabbits.

What do you feel about this? I think its disgusting if Im honest, I got told about people before in the English breed who prefer the mothers to have four per litter, and breed to show who will cull to keep to that number, and will also cull charlies and selfs, as there not showable, and its come back up, as theres someone local I know who I've also been told is doing this, and beings as when I went to his small holding when I was younger and he had battery hens and kept his breeding bitches in stables I believe this, and it makes me so sad, and angry, specially coz when breeding two spotteds together statiscly your gonna get only 50% spotteds, with 25% charlies and 25% selfs, but why don't baby animals deserve to live coz they don't conform to be able to compete in your hobby? I know the reason given is so they can bred the mother more regulary without it taking too much out of her, but why not breed less? What do you think? I wouldn't of thought this should be legal, and am wanting to get proof for myself, or someone with proof to see what the RSPCA say, but do you think culling unwanted or surplus 'stock' is a good or bad thing?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 04:28 PM
They will breed to get what they want if they weren't culled wot would happen to them?? More to go to already full rescues
As long as they are well cared for. And PTS humanly I think it's better than being abandoned into rescues
ATD x
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't think they would go into rescue, for example when I got Nancy, her and her self, sister if I remember right were the first to go to homes, and they were the only non spotteds, the breeder found it harder to find homes for the spotteds of the litter, but she was a great breeder, has offered me advice before, during and after I had Nance, and has a fb page where she recently asked people for help finding homes for two that she has bred, shes kinda become my port of call if I ever have any problems, and I don't have any from her right now, and wont for a while at least, but she cares about her rabbits (if anyone ever wants a English, or Sable rabbit, think she has a few gp's too and can get to, or live around south wales would be happy to give you her name), but she also only breeds each rabbit once or twice a year, and has them as pets, whereas others may not idk, but I don't know how these are culled, which is another reason Im waiting, if its all true, but what I don't get, is as the culling of babies is because they can breed more without it draining the dam, or because of rescue (have to say am so pleased theres no English in rescue where I volunteer, its basically all lops), why not breed less? I'm just of the thought that unless theres a drastic reason where its better for the animal to be humanly pts, that every life brought into the world, and born because of man deserves the chance to live.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2011, 11:04 PM
personally i would sell as pets home checking first and i dont breed nor do i intend to start or would keep to show as a pet myself ,pets can still be shown at rabbit shows mine are and there crossbreeds, even though i do have a full breed too but she isnt rung as theres a question mark over whether she meets breed standard a second opinion is being sought by breeder and myself about whether she can be rung at nearly 4 mnths and if a spot too high that will hinder her likelyhood of being placed at shows ,but either way i dot care she's my baby and i will show as a pet. Even though i know of someone that managed to ring a 5mnth old causing bunny no harm so we will see as could be an isolated case.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Is she a English? The person I got Nancy off might help, she's always been helpful to me, and is knowledgeable aswell, she breeds English and Sables, she still helps me now, and Nancy died last year, she also has a English rabbits page in fb if you have fb, but if you want her name I could PM you.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
What do you feel about this? I think its disgusting if Im honest, I got told about people before in the English breed who prefer the mothers to have four per litter, and breed to show who will cull to keep to that number, and will also cull charlies and selfs, as there not showable, and its come back up, as theres someone local I know who I've also been told is doing this, and beings as when I went to his small holding when I was younger and he had battery hens and kept his breeding bitches in stables I believe this, and it makes me so sad, and angry, specially coz when breeding two spotteds together statiscly your gonna get only 50% spotteds, with 25% charlies and 25% selfs, but why don't baby animals deserve to live coz they don't conform to be able to compete in your hobby? I know the reason given is so they can bred the mother more regulary without it taking too much out of her, but why not breed less? What do you think? I wouldn't of thought this should be legal, and am wanting to get proof for myself, or someone with proof to see what the RSPCA say, but do you think culling unwanted or surplus 'stock' is a good or bad thing?
I think it very much depends on the surplus stock, and their outcome ...

Culling is a very emotive subject, and its alright throwing accusations of cruelty and so on at those who do, but I would prefer to understand the reasons behind the cull, before I judged.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Yes shes definitely full breed both parents brc registered,i was told she was not rung as they felt one spot too high on her side goes against breed standard,it may be too late at 4mnths but hoping to h
Get a 2nd opinion at weekend as someone I know rung a 5 mnth old.yes I am on social networking site.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 10:16 AM
I know of several Dutch breeders who eat the rabbits that arent to show standard.

I also am about to start breeding rabbit and quail for the dogs and us to eat...again no problem

TBH so long as the animals live and die humanely, then I have no issue (willing to bet they have better lives that most Battery Farmed Hens!)
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Well her page is English rabbits, and she's from Wales, she also has some babies for sale, but I'm sure that she will be happy to help.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Has always been common practise in the breeds which require specific markings, anything which was a missmark was either sold off as a pet or ended up in the pot, often the latter to prevent "inferior" specimens potentially accidentally ending up in the gene pool. Seems more than responsible to me.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »