View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Insuring a baby rabbit_welcome to the family precious and rabbit shows with pet class

Hi everyone

Got a new bunny monday born 15.06.2011,pics to follow over weekend.

Thinking about taking out a rabbit insurance policy whose the best company for cover in your experience.i,ve never insured before but thought I might this time as show alot in hastings rabbit and cavy clun show at least 3_4 times a year.

Shes full breed from a brc registered breeder but not rung as breeder doesnt believe shes breed show standard but I am welcome to enter at brc shows with pet classes like I do my crossbreed rabbits but they only do local show,i would like to do more shows in kent or east sussex,ive seen some advertised on brc site for my area but dont know if theres pet classes.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 08:24 AM
When I started out in rats I was going to insure them but when I asked on a rat forum the majority of people didn't do it as costs weren't high enough.

I did have a site that did insurance but it seems to be defunct. Not much help am I
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Lost my last bunny ice to flystrike,in a clean hutch as well.cost £80 plus for vet treatment and she died a week later.baby bun not in hutch she was in.vets thought they had saved her as only mild touch wood caught very early and on meds within hours of diagnosis,our others all got clean bill of health.she was epiliptic and when we went rabbit shows tended to pick up ear mites as a lop ear,which cost alot.vets put it down to a low immune system she was only 3yr 9m when she died.would like to show baby as a pet so thinking of insuring baby.any advice appreciated,shes already booked in for vaccines at vets.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I would definitely insure if you can. I have had rabbits for about 6 years and can say that they are prone to illness and health issues. It's so good to be able to say to the vet that they are insured and to do everything the need to do if your rabbit gets sick. I have one rabbit at the moment, she will be my last. She isn't very well and the vet has done/tried everything they can do so it's just a case of keeping an eye on her and if she deteriorates (more likely when I think ) then she will be PTS Insuring gets my vote.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks i havent before but seriously considering it even if only baby precious, but never showed even as a pet before year before last, my others all died at 10,9,8 years naturally but lost a pets at home rabbit at 14 weeks(Never again that was natural too) and lost my epiliptic bun ice last week at 3yr 9 months, My current bunnys nearly 5, 2.5 and 15 weeks all vaccinations up to date apart from baby whose booked in next week, anyone recommend insurance companies
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I know that PAH now do rabbit insurance but not sure what its like...

I have had 6 rabbits over the years, and none so far (touch wood), have ever cost much at all. I would weigh it up because £7 per month is around £80 per year. This is quite a lot considering unless you are unlucky you probably won't spend this much on a yearly basis.

Always worth looking in to though and at the end of the day its peace of mind