Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 03:09 PM

What was the go between?

I'm reading Martin Clunes' A dogs life and he reckons the Dingo was the go between wolves and dogs - I always thought it was the Canaan Dog myself... I think when I was young I googled "first dog breed" and it came up with Canaan Dog..

Any ideas/theories or anything to enlighten me - I've always wanted to know..
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 06:00 PM
not a clue, sorry
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure the Dingo is the true go-between phase between wolf and dog.

Probably the real one is the fossil skull found in Siberia in the 70's which was recently dated to be 33,000 years old, and therefore the oldest skull of any domestic canid.
Link: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nce-evolution/

"In the case of the Russian specimen, the animal was just on the cusp of becoming a fully domesticated dog when its breed died out."

I understand that the Dingo is descended from just a few domestic dogs which arrived with human immigrants on the Australian continent and were the first canids there. I think this was only about 2-3,000 years ago.

True, it means their "type" has remained pure and unchanged, but there are also other groups of feral dogs elsewhere in the world which have similarly retained their original features, such as pariah dogs in places like India.

Perhaps Martin Clunes meant they are the closest we might get to seeing what the dogs of our ancestors looked like, but that doesn't take into account all the colour and coat mutations that have naturally occurred over time.... some a lot further ago than we might realise. We have had short-legged, piebald, black, white, cream, golden, long-legged, drop-eared, shaggy haired, longhaired, short-nosed dogs for many many thousands of years.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:48 PM
MM - you're last paragraph - I think that's exactly what he is getting at - but I'd still like to know the true go between.. I know horses evolved from what they were to what they are now.

The link explains a lot - thank you