Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 06:27 PM

Could I Take Riley To America?

Hey,

So, as i think i've said on here before im planning on going to America for a couple of months next year after i've graduated. Me and a friend are going to hire a car and travel around the West Coast and i'll probably visit some friends in Michigan and Maryland while im there.

Someone mentioned to me about taking Riley along with me and i've been thinking about it and it would be really fun. He loves travelling and meeting new people and going to new places so he'd really enjoy it! But i dont know how practical it would be. Would he need to be quarentined? I heard that they no longer quarentine animals coming into England as long as they have all their injections up to date and passports and stuff, is that true? Also, how would he take the 10 hour flight? Im assuming he'd have to go in a crate as cargo.. Will that stress him too much? Is it possible to travel with him? And does anyone know how dog friendly California, Nevada, Arizona, Michigan and Marlyand are? I would want to be able to take him places with me obviously..

Anyway, just thinking about it at the moment so any info would be great Obviously, if its not going to work i'll just leave him at home with his mum and sister!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Not sure about travelling.
But as i have family in Califorrnia, Manhatan, Des Moines and Florida, i know all these places are dog friendly!!! if i remember when Aunt Sharon still lived in California, just litted back to the U.K for a few months, anyways when she was living full time in California the dogs are treated better thenthe people, we took one of her dogs with us when we hit the shops and we went into this one place, where they turned someone away jsut as we got there, becuse of their smell (and no i aint joking) but they let my aunt sharons little maltese go in LOL
I'm not sure whether there is a quarntine period in the states
Sorry
Best wishes
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 06:44 PM
I think Karen (Alohacorso) had her dogs in quarantine...

I'm sorry Jessica, but I wouldnt let Luna sit in a crate in an airplane for god knows how many hours for a few months in US, before doing the same thing when going back...

Maybe I'm just too soft... But next year I'm thinking of having my summervacation in the UK, but we will be sailing over... Not flying.. JMO though.

Hugs J
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Hi Jessica - I have just looked at the DEFRA website, and discovered that the mainland USA is listed under the Pet Travel Scheme - so dogs coming to the UK do not have to be quarantined if they are registered with this scheme
I had no idea - I thought it was just the EU; so thank you

I also looked at the importation rules into the US - and they are very similar to ours, so if the dog is vaccinated against rabies etc etc ,they do not have to be quarantined when they arrive there, either

I'm not sure I'd take a dog with me on a two month trip like the one you describe though; a 10 hour flight - with sedation, etc, is very traumatic unless it is an essential trip for a long time.

Also, I'm not sure where you plan on staying, but hotels/motels seem to have some interesting ideas on what is "dog friendly" - when I last visited it was common practice for dogs to stay in the cars of hotel guests overnight parked in a "dog" area (usually underground) with water and an exercise area provided; there was no way there were allowed in the rooms
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2005, 07:09 AM
I agree with Bellaluna, don't do it... it would be different if you were moving there. There would be no quarantine, the dog would travel on the pets passport scheme, but there are thing that would need to be done correctly and can be costly.
collarasighthound
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2005, 09:04 AM
I think you really, really have to know your dog - I know of one man whom regularly fly's his 2 dogs from Scotland to London and they are used to it and fine ( you can visit them on one budget airline I think) and another lady whom moved from NY to Hawaii with her 2 dogs. 11hr flight plus waits - one was okay the other had an eawful time.You have to be careful with water and which airline to.
I personally wouldn't I know that the kennels I use would be a better place for them given the unforseen hassel but only you know your dog
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 10:32 AM
As others have already said, it might be possible to take Riley with you without the quarantine, but you have to think about what you want out of the trip. Why you are there and the ones you will be travelling with.

I wouldn't do it either and since Riley can stay with his mum and sister I wouldn't be scared of doing so.

And I hope, when time comes, that you will have an awesome trip and please take loads of pics for us who cant just pull out a couple of months from our schedule and cruising the states
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 10:38 AM
And just another thought - the people you know over there would they mind you bringing a dog into their homes? Some people might say no problem and are just being polite when they aren't keen on animals

My granddad hated animals and would overreact if one came anywhere near his home!!! Not sure why but it was his decision and I had to learn to respect that

I'm sure you'll make the right decision to whether Riley would cope with the situation or not, he's the most important factor of this decision.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Maybe I'm just too soft... But next year I'm thinking of having my summervacation in the UK, but we will be sailing over... Not flying.. JMO though.

Hugs J
Jeanette what happens with dogs when you travel them by boat?? Where do they stay on the boat? I have seen sometimes that if you are taking a vehicle then they have to stay inside that while you have to go to the main part of the boat??

Jessica you would have to make sure you get the rabbies shot for your dog etc at least 6 months prior to travelling and then after 6 months you have the bloodtest done to check it has 'taken' there are a couple other things that need to be done also but when you ask about the pet passport scheme you would be told but you would have to get the ball rolling like I said at least 6 months prior.

You wouldn't then have to quarenteen your dog obviously but I would definitly think about where you will be staying accomodation wise...You would need to have definite plans and probably would have to be staying with friends and family the whole time and not hotels/motels at all unless you know before you even go there that dogs are allowed.

The dog would have to travel in the cargo hold I am sure (I have known that tiny dogs are allowed on board in a pet carrier though)...you have to weigh up the odds, is it fair for the dog to travel for that long but then be with you on your trip or stay at home, not having to travel anywhere but perhaps missing you?? Two months is a fairly long time so at least it isn't like you are going for a fortnight and expecting her to travel both ways in that short amount of time, but I just don't know how stressful it would be?? and if you know your dog would be stressed then I don't know what the dangers are of giving a sedative twice in two months are if any??...I don't know, it's a tough one!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Jessica - I woudlnt put him through it - it would be different if you were moving there.. Also I organised an emigration for a couple moving to Cambodia recently and the amount of hassle due to the dog was unbeleiveable - so much red tape - its a nightmare and expensive too.

- what you have to consider though - is eating out, - weher do you leave the dog. Arizona is VERY hot - u cant leave the dog in the car for any amoutn of time, its hot travelling about there - you wont be able to take him into most sites of interest etc.

So is it really fair - because you will miss him to take him with ? Its fantatsic country with loads of amazing places to walk your dog- but its not fair on your dog to put him through that flight for more your reasons that his? I hope that doesnt sound too harsh - just knowing the heat that we experienced inMay this year ion California/arizona and nevada - its definetly not fair on a dog who isnt used to it.

JMO
dani
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >