Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:14 PM

Menu ideas please..

Ok so I have decided (I think) I am going to feed Louie raw from now on. But I am getting a little stuck on a menu for him (I have to be organised - it's delivered once a month)

Can anyone share their menu's with me so I get the general gist of what I should be feeding him each week. (I know there will be a rabbit in there at least every month - a whole one.)

Thank you
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:18 PM
My two get on a daily basis, half a lb of mince (either chicken, lamb&tripe, chicken&tripe, lamb, beef or economy, which is offcuts of different meats), some tripe (I rough cut it so some days they have more, some days they have less - I find it keeps their weight more evenly spread like this), and a chicken carcass. If they feel a bit ribby, I'll up their mince, but it doesn't generally happen as the carcasses have a fair bit of meat on.

They have offal as when they get it (this coming next two weeks they'll be having a small bit daily, but that's because I had excess). They generally get offal in the form of liver cake for training!

They get a glucosamin, chondroitin and MSM combined pill each (this is only because Jess has arthritis though, and as a preventative for Harls), and a squirt of salmon oil each.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Mon am Chicken wings
Mon pm Tripe
Tue am turkey leg
tue pm liver
wed am pigs trotter
wed pm smoothie (large tub of live yog, + banana + egg)
Thu am rabbit
Thu pm heart
Fri am lamb chops
Fri pm kidneys
Sat am beef ribs
Sat pm minced beef
Sun am chicken carcases
Sun pm tongue

I give a banana a day
an egg a day
and the days they do not have offal some pureed veg a day

This is just an example, some people feed less offal and thus add it to mince (for fussy dogs)

NB I have not put in amounts as those will differ from dog to dog

In addition my dogs have quite a few supplements as they are performance dogs.

MSM
Green Lipped Mussel
Chondroitin
Fresh garlic or pills
Glucosamine
Fish Body Oil
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Rosehip
co enzyme Q10
Cetyl-M (cetyl - myristoleate, ginger, bromelain, garlic
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
If I give bones as a recreational, would that still count as a bone meal? I've just done a right dummy thing without realising and given Louie a bone (to keep him quiet) although he's just had chicken carcass! Doh - and I have no liver left to loosen it up in the morning!

I have been thinking though - it's so much cheaper to feed little dogs raw food! Why didn't I get a little dog!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:26 PM
A Recreational bone is not a meal of RMBs.

It is just to provide exercise for jaws and teeth.

Mine have recreational bones every day (limited access) over and above their food.

However, if they get a marrow bone, then that marrow counts as one meal.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
If I give bones as a recreational, would that still count as a bone meal? I've just done a right dummy thing without realising and given Louie a bone (to keep him quiet) although he's just had chicken carcass! Doh - and I have no liver left to loosen it up in the morning!

I have been thinking though - it's so much cheaper to feed little dogs raw food! Why didn't I get a little dog!
I would say it would class as a bone meal, but I personally give these in addition. They get bones most days on top of their carcass.

Big dogs aren't that expensive to feed raw... I feed both of mine for two months (not including freezer bill or Glucosamin/salmon oil), for about £25
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I would say it would class as a bone meal, but I personally give these in addition. They get bones most days on top of their carcass.

Big dogs aren't that expensive to feed raw... I feed both of mine for two months (not including freezer bill or Glucosamin/salmon oil), for about £25
I know but littler dogs would work out cheaper lol.. less freezer space needed as well..

On the suppliers list they have salmon as well as tripe and oily fish - these would be good for the joints won't they?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I know but littler dogs would work out cheaper lol.. less freezer space needed as well..

On the suppliers list they have salmon as well as tripe and oily fish - these would be good for the joints won't they?
Yes true.

I think they'd be fine for joints The only reason we give salmon oil instead of fish, is Harley is incredibly intolerant to fish, but seems fine with salmon oil.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 06:09 PM
In the back of that little book I gave you Aimee there is a weekly menu but it's not terribly varied.

I dont have a menu, I just buy things that are going cheap or are available, then I look in the freezer and think "they can have that, that and that for tomorrow".

Seriously, I wouldnt get too hung up on menus or percentages or weighing things, it's gets very boring very quickly!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Well since sunday Louie has had;

liver and beef mince - Meat, Bone, Offal, Beef/Lamb Liver, beef and tripe - Meat, Bone, Offal, Beef/Lamb Tripe, chicken carcass x 2 (two days),
a few bones

I have in the freezer - a whole rabbit, meat, bone and offal (waiting on wormer though and that will do two meals) choice chunks - basically lamb offal
chicken carcass
And tommorrow he's having lamb mince (a lb of it for a pound from Iceland)

Basically most things from the supplier have offal and bone in them, except the carcasses and ribs and other bones of course.. most of it is minced also...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >