Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Is this normal?

Louie has only seen offal once - and refused to eat it.. but that was my fault.

I've given him some minced beef with liver tonight (I defrosted the whole thing but gave him half just incase) anyway - he threw the first lot up - ate it too quickly, so I've just given him the second half and mixed in a few of his biscuits.. He's eating it, but taking his time with it and instead of chowing down on it like usual, he's picking bits out and nomming on them then going back, sniffing and then picking another little bit out..

He's acting as if I have put arsenic in it

Actually looking down - he's eaten it all (back doors open just incase he threw up again and foods in the room so I can protect it from flies! Damn flies!)

Is it normal for them to flit around it?

It's going to be hilarious watching him with the whole rabbit in a few days...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 06:21 PM
It is normal for some very suspicious eaters, never had one myself but some dogs are xenophobic with food.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
He isn't normally suspicious - he'll sniff before he eats - but thats when taking it out of peoples hands - but when I tried him with the kidney and now with the liver he has acted weirdly..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Give my lot chicken livers and they take it out of their dish and spit it out in disgust, yet give them ox liver and they cant eat it fast enough. Pigs kidney is a no-no, ox kidney is a big hit.

Jed and Flynn are quite suspicious eaters, depending on the smell and texture of something but Jessie will eat anything you put in front of her.

In the past when my lot have had something they arent used to, they tend to throw it back up a few mins later. Pheasant is a classic example. Jed has gotten used to pheasant though, Flynn wont touch it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Hmm - so I just have to experiment with which animal it comes out of..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Give it a try.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:41 PM
My dog isnt keen on the texture of defrosted liver but cant get enough if its frozen! So hence I feed it frozen...
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
My dog isnt keen on the texture of defrosted liver but cant get enough if its frozen! So hence I feed it frozen...
I couldn't feed this lot frozen! it was a block LOL..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I couldn't feed this lot frozen! it was a block LOL..
I get bags with 9-12 cubes all frozen, I just leave it out the freezer for a little while and then bang it on the garden path to break it up and put the rest in the freezer. If you let it soften a bit, its easier to cut when slightly frozen too, then just re-freeze again...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Jake absolutely loves liver... any liver Apparently some dogs can just be funny with liver... never experienced it myself though ... even Paddy couldn't eat liver fast enough!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >