Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Rescues - Getting a 2nd dog

I'm not looking to get a 2nd dog just now, but it is something I am thinking about a lot

Both dogs I have had, have been from the SSPCA. But, we only had one at a time.

I was wondering though, if you go to a rescue and already have a dog, what kind of things (in general) do they ask/do? I know they will want the dogs to meet, to make sure they get on etc, but do they ask questions about your current dog? Like, what food they get and if there vaccinations are up to date (and maybe proof of vaccinations?)... and things like that? Or, do they not so much bother about your current dog, and just want the dogs to meet...

Do they do home checks too if you already have a current dog?

This was just something I was thinking about yesterday as I was cleaning the house
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I went through an online rescue and had a home check, they asked if my dogs were neutered and vaccinated and what my garden was like and how much exercise I could give. I then had a home check and as everything was ok he was offered to me.

With my local rescue I'd already had 2 dogs from them, I have never had to have a home check (even though they do home check others and refused one of my friends a dog) and we took him for a walk, asked questions, and came back the next day with my other dog to meet him and that was that, picked him up a week later.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Well I can only speak for the two GSD breed rescues I have volunteered for.

When there is an existing dog in the household, I would want to know how it gets on with other dogs in general, its sex and whether it is neutered/spayed, age of that dog and whether there have ever been any problems with it - behaviour or medical. We don't specifically ask about vaccinations being up-to-date, but do take the owner's vet name and number and give them a reference call, just to check the dog is well cared for and that usually includes regular vaccinations etc (as far as they can tell).

Yes, the two dogs would also be expected to meet prior to the new rescue going to the new home, and you would need a home check.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
I just get asked if I can squeeze another one in.
Seriously though, all rescues have different policies. It`s good to phone round and talk to people to find out what they are.
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Maggie turned up as a stray who we handed in to the warden in case her owners came forward, when they didn't we collected her from the kennels that the council use....no home check (although the warden did collect her from our house) she wasn't vaccinated spayed or anything.
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
....sorry, we had no previous dogs so my answer probably wasn't relevant!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2011, 03:49 PM
The one we used wanted to know sleeping plans for the new dog too, they made a bigger deal on that than i thought they would..
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone ... I want my next dog (and all future dogs) to be from a rescue.

When I got Jake, we didn't have a home check (but did with Sam, who we got from the same rescue - but lived in a different house) and he was going to be an only dog so didn't get asked anything like that.

I doubt I will get a second dog while I am in this house (and living with my parents) but if I did, then we would need to sort the fence in back garden. I also wasn't sure if feeding would be asked about, but I guess it probably won't after reading the comments.

But, the thing I have been thinking about the most is vaccinations. Jake had his puppy vaccinations and his first booster, but he hasn't had one since (he has only missed one which was due in June). I had never thought about not giving them, and then starting reading threads on here, and links given, and now I don't feel comfortable getting them done (although, I would still get a puppy vaccinated, and first booster - just wouldn't feel comfortable risking it). By the sounds of it though, I might not be able to get a rescue without him being up to date... hrm... I guess I will need to have a look around at different rescues, and see if I can find one that will be ok about him not being up to date.

I have been trying to think of other things that may cause problems, but I can't think of anything that would apply to us. I think Jake meeting a dog should go well, and he is a well behaved boy, with no medical issues... just his allergies, which are all fine just now. He is neutered as well. I hadn't though about them asking about sleeping arrangements though... (not that that would be an issue )
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2011, 11:18 PM
I have been told (not sure if its true or not) any sign of outside kenneling will be a big no no for some .even if they are not used ,,